10 gallon ideas/ 29 gallon centerpiece

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They should be kept in at least a pair. In a 10g, I only suggest 2. Also, keep in mind what bruins said that they are rather sensitive and should only be put into a well-establiched tank. :)

Well apparently I can get Nerite snails anywhere around here because they are an invasive species and I dont want 2 otos mainly because im still learning and dont want to kill them but also because I want to get a good amount of CPD in there and having 2 otos would probably lower the amount of CPDs i could have by a good amount. Any other options for a clean up crew? some kind of shrimp or anything? Are mystery snails any good at cleaning up?

Honestly, having another oto would affect the number of cpd very little (if at all). They only reach 2 inches and have a very small bioload. Also, they do not swim in the same place as the cpd, so there is not conflict for space.
But, if you don't want otos, thats fine too. You could try red cherry shrimp. The cpd will likely eat shrimplets, the adults would be too big for them to eat. Sometimes fish will pick at shrimp, but if you have enough plants that shouldn't be an issue either. :)
But, if you are interested in cleaning potential, get a gravel vacuum. Mystery snails will eat fallen food, but they have a decent bioload. A mystery snail contiributes just as much to the bioload as a similarly sized fish.
The shrimp have tiny little bioloads, so they would probably be your best bet.

I think Im going to try the shrimp if I can get my hands on some those sound cool. However Im also doing a 5G planted for my wife who wants 1 dwarf puffer. Is there anything I could put in the 5 with the puffer as a cleaner? Hear puffers can be aggressive.

No. Nothing else in a 5g. Many people suggest otos with dp because the dp don't mess with them, but that match-up in really not in the oto's best interest since the otos often starve to death in 5g tanks and should typically be kept wiht at least 1 friend, which a 5g tank does not allow.

Back
Top Bottom