10 gallon light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisharecool

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone got any suggestions of what light to get I want to do a planted tank so probably around 40-80 watts and a hood

Watts per gallon is kind of an out dated way if measuring lights. Try researching about PAR, it takes into account the depth of the tank.
I think an 18" finnex fuge ray is a good one for a medium-low light planted 10g, or you could do a couple clamp lights with CFLs in them. Keep in mind the higher the light you have, the faster the plants will grow and the more you'll need CO2 and fertilizers and more maintenance.

thanks I think ill go with the clamp lights. What plants can I get low medium or high and what do you reccomend:thanks:

If you do low light you will not have to dose any ferts or carbon. You could do java moss, java ferns, anubias, and crypts (crypts need root tabs).
If you do medium light you could do most plants commonly sold, but you will need to dose ferts and at least a liquid carbon daily.
If you do high light, you can grow any plants, and they will grow very fast. You will definitely need a pressurized CO2 system or a very high dose of liquid carbon daily to avoid getting massive algae problems. You will also need to dose a comprehensive dry fert regimen daily such as EI or PPS pro.
You could probably get 2, 13w CFLs for low light or 2, 26w CFLs for medium light.

thanks for the great list so 2 lamps = medium light can I grow dwarf baby tears or dwarf hair
grass in medium light

Both of those plants are quite difficult to grow and do best with high light and pressurized CO2

Pygmy chain sword and dwarf sag are both good ground cover medium light plants. Pennywort, hydrocotle, creeping jenny, and mosses are also good choices.

No im talking about stem plants like rotala.

Sent from my N800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry i meant i am talking about like stem plants like rotala

Hey, I was in the same position a few months ago, check out my 10 gal planted tank thread. I grow elocharis parvula and pogostemon both carpeting with CFL bulbs in a DIY hood, with DIY co2 and liquid ferts all doing great. Hope this helps and if you have any questions from reading the thread ask away.

Attachments

• image-2002554148.jpg
    image-2002554148.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 69
  • image-1604466234.jpg
    image-1604466234.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 53
  • image-3639266363.jpg
    image-3639266363.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 44
Thanks it looks great illl definently check it out