10 gallon really bad idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitedeer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My friend is restocking her tank and she has a 10 gallon for the job. Now i was worried when she said a community tank because she hasn't had good luck with them... her tank stocking at this point is this

-3-4 dwarf puffers
-fast moving tetras
-a betta
-possibly a bottom feeder

I really don't want to tell her, just to have her figure it out because she is dead set on this. I also don't want to torture these fish of what they will go thru with all the nipping. I thought dwarf puffers were to only be a species only fish...

My friend is restocking her tank and she has a 10 gallon for the job. Now i was worried when she said a community tank because she hasn't had good luck with them... her tank stocking at this point is this

-3-4 dwarf puffers
-fast moving tetras
-a betta
-possibly a bottom feeder

I really don't want to tell her, just to have her figure it out because she is dead set on this. I also don't want to torture these fish of what they will go thru with all the nipping. I thought dwarf puffers were to only be a species only fish...

DPs are not always a species only fish but this tank is doomed to failure. It is incredibly too small for one thing. There probably wont be much torture because I doubt anything will live real long.

Just a bad idea on so many levels. Way over stocked and fish just not compatible

Sadly, sometimes the only way people learn is by their own mistakes. Even if you tell them not to they still will. Just explain to her that there is a better chance of her getting hit by lighting, winning the lottery, and having an alien invasion on the same day then there is for this tank setup to work. And if she chooses to do it, then she will learn from the consequences and hopefully be better for it. Ok so maybe that's an exaggeration, but still, not a good idea.

Yes! Exactly what I thought, however she isn't too keen to notice it. She had a DG in a tank with a betta too. I think it will be the same outcome, and she'll try to give them to me...I just hope the pet shop stops her.

Most pet stores are just looking for the money. Maybe send her a couple emails with care for the fish she has. Then you don't have to tell her and maybe she will listen that way.

Most pet stores are just looking for the money. Maybe send her a couple emails with care for the fish she has. Then you don't have to tell her and maybe she will listen that way.

Well the pet store we have here actually asks what tank size you have and will deny you fish if the tank is too small. So maybe there is still hope...

My brother had a piranha in a 20 gallon , which if that wasn't bad enough, he decided to add a jack Dempsey bc it was "cool". After multiple warnings and almost arguing over it, I let home learn a valuable lesson on his own.. Both fish ended up battering each other until they both died.. I now own the 20 gallon that he gave to me :)

Alright, I talked her out of most of her idea... but now this is her stocking

Tiger barbs
Small rainbowfish (didn't know there was a small variety)
Danios
3 pea puffers

I still don't think this is a good idea, she said she did research, but she needs to find out some way.....oh well... but thanks everyone for supporting me here!

Why not suggest an alternative stock?

This would be my ideas:

1 :

A small school of guppies(5? One male 4 females or all males if she wont want babies)
10 red cherry shrimp

2:
A shrimp colony (planted)

3: a dwarf puffer tank (with ONE puffer)

2 puffers would be fine. Could even add mystery snails or try some cherry shrimp

The actual dwarf puffers ( the ones that start out at about 1\3 of an inch need 5-7 gallons of their own when full grown. The others all need at least a 20 long when full grown ( for 1) and they end up being a brackish fish. That being said I had 2 dwarfs in a 15 gal species only tank and they thrived. They do need to be fed black snails tho so if U go this route get a gallon tank and throw about ten or fifteen snails in it and they will breed fast enough to feed ur puffers

Back
Top Bottom