10 Gallon tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julixttx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I actually have 3 questions about a ten gallon tank.
1. Would a betta fish kill a goldfish or guppys?
2. Would I be able to fit a goldfish and a few guppys into a 10 gal?
3. What plants should I get?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Guppies will fit in a 10 gallon. Unfortunately, goldfish will definitely not do well in that small of a tank. They can grow to 6-12 inches and will eat guppies. Plus, they are very messy. You should just stick with guppies. I hope this helps!

Alright thank you c: do you know how many guppies I should keep in the tank?

Unless you are only getting males or dividing them, you should also take into account that they breed like crazy and you will end up with LOTS of baby guppies.

Sorry for the long reply XD i don't know how to tell the gender of them but I could ask, are there any other fish I could fit in with 4/5 guppies? Do the guppies have to be of the same breed? And what filtration would be recommended? What fish even if only one would be able to fit into a ten gallon tank to begin with? Thank you for the answers already and sorry I have so many questions, this would be the first tank I'm running purely on my own.

Male guppies tend to be way more colorful and vibrant than females. They are necessary when keeping male guppies

Sorry for the long reply XD i don't know how to tell the gender of them but I could ask, are there any other fish I could fit in with 4/5 guppies? And what filtration would be recommended? Thank you for the answers already and sorry I have so many questions, this would be the first tank I'm running purely on my own.

It's fine, I enjoy answering questions. Male and female guppies are really easy to tell apart. The males are generally smaller, with large fins and bright colors, while the females are more dull brown or coppery colors with normal sized rounded tails and a small black spot right by their anal fins.

Alright that makes sense, those are probably the ones in my lfs. Do the guppies need to be of the same breed? Also is there any fish Id be able to fit in with 4/5 guppies? And finally what fish could I fit into a ten gallon?

Slightly newbish.

Betta tank
Future 10 gal freshwater tank
Future 15-30 gal unknown tank

Look up "freshwater nano fish." That might have some good results. As for guppy breeding, if they can, they will. All breeds of guppies are still guppies. They can even breed with some other species.

Alright I'll search that up, I don't really want to breed them right now xD I think I worded that wrong. I mean like if I had like 2 African guppies and 3 North American guppies would those be alright to mix? I'm pretty sure I just made those guppies up but what ever lol.

Slightly newbish.

Betta tank

I could see that happening lol. I was doing some research and found something that showed that this would work well in a 10 gal; 7 neon tetras(5 golfish), 1 male betta or 1 guppy, and 2 ghost shrimp. I was wondering if this was an alright set up with real plants and what filter I might need? Also what light? I was also wondering if there were other fish I could replace the tetras or ghost shrimp with?

If I did this combination I would most likely choose the betta.
This is the post I found that said this.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424827129.229404.jpg

I also found another group with 1 female guppy, 2 male guppys, 1 betta, 2 sword tails and after a few weeks adding in some snails to control the algae. I personally do not like the sword tails so if I did this setup would I be able to switch the sword tails for anything? I was also wondering if the snails would crawl out at all? Here is this post;
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424827266.527269.jpg

Slightly newbish.

Betta tank

The first setup the betta would probably kill everything and the second seemed over stocked and with guppies and all other livebearers you need at least 1 male to every 2 females. I have two ten gallons right now and one has just one male betta because he would probably kill everything else and the other one has 1 guppy and 5 Apple snails but I want to give the guppy away and get some dwarf puffers.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I don't think either of those seem very accurate... Maybe yahoo answers isn't the most reliable site. ?

I figured Yahoo wasnt reliable lol do you think dwarf puffers and guppys are compatable?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

Dwarf puffers should be in their own tank. But that's just an excuse to get another tank... Possibly bigger...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Alright xD so would I be able to do 4/5 guppies 1 catfish and 1 rasbora?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom