10 Gallon Tank Start Up - Stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redderthanever

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am starting up my moms extra 10 gallon tank and I have been trying to figure out what to stock it with. I have my heart set on Tiger Barbs, I was hoping to maybe get 4 or 5. Does any body have any experience with Tiger Barbs? Or better yet, does any better have any experience with Tiger Barbs in a 10 gallon?

My other option is perhaps a school of 10-12 neon tetras because I like those too. Or perhaps just go to the pet store and see what they have for fish if I can't go the Tiger Barb route.

Thanks

Most pet stores have plenty of tiger barbs so if you'd like them I'm almost sure you'll find them.

Enjoy. :)

i wouldnt get more than 5 tiger barbs they get to 3inches and that would put you over the limit. if you get less tigers than five and try to put a couple other fish the tigers in small numbers like to nip fins. in that size of tank i would not get barbs. i would go with a dwarf gourami and a school of red wags and maybe a cory cat.

Well I have decided Tiger Barbs, though I want them badly, probably wont work in a 10 gallon so I have decided to go with this:

Either

2 Otos
2 Dwarf Gouramis
6 White Clouds/Neon Tetras

OR

1 Oto
3 Dwarf Gouramis
6 White Clouds/Neon Tetras

Depending if Otos can be kept by themselves.

Does that seem good for a 10 gal?

what type of dwarf gourami are you thinking about? If it is the "typical" dwarf, I would not recommend putting more than one male in a 10 gallon tank. I have had 1, 2, and 3 over time in a 29 gal, and they did not do well together. One male with 3 females didn't even do well. My suggestion, if you want the dwarf gourami, stick with one, or you can get the honey dwarf gouramis, which are much more peaceful, but even then, I'm not sure I'd put 2-3 in a 10 g. Also, a note about the white clouds...they are cool water fish, so I'd be inclined to go with the neons over them.

a typical standard 10g setup recommendation is often:

6-8 neons
2-3 small cories(pandas/pygmies)/ottos
1 center piece fish, be it a dwarf gourami or ram or something similar

I agree with frenchpea. I had 2 dwarf gouramis in a 10g and they fought until one died from injuries. I've heard of 2 males fighting in a tank as big as a 55g. They just don't tolerate each other.

I would go with neons, glowlights or harlequin rasboras. In my 10g I have 6 harlies, a male betta, and an otto (his friend died).

If you go with ottos, add them only after you develop a good algae supply. The tank should be cycled also.

You are right to not do the tiger barbs. At a max of 3 inches, they would be cramped in a 10g. Not to mention, they are very active.

I personally don't like the thought of cories in a 10g...not even the small ones. They are pretty active, so I think they deserve a bigger tank. But, if you get them, I would get a group of 4-5. Cories are shoaling and do better the more you have (of one kind).

I love cories for 10 gallon tanks. Tiger barbs are fast, zippy, and IMO too busy for a 10 gallon. I have had small schools of cories live happily in a 10 gallon. Neons are kind of hit or miss. It seems hard to get a nice school as they tend to die off easily. I personally consider them somewhat fragile lately. Otos can be fragile as well but can do well if you keep them in a small school 3-5 and make sure they have tons of fresh veggies. Many people get them to clean the tank and the otos slowly die off as their food source diminishes. Mystery Snails are cool and so are many of the shrimp.

I also find the neons to be somewhat difficult, but I decided to try them again, as my mom is taking my silvertips (which were bothering by few neons in the 29g) for her new tank, and all 11 are in my 10g QT tank doing just fine, eating well and very active. but then I've also bought a batch of 10 and had all of them die...just make sure that those you are getting are good stock, healthy, eating well, etc BEFORE you buy them, as it will increase your chances of doing well with them. Once you get past the 1 mo mark I find you are pretty safe! ;)

You don't buy 10 fish at one time and expect them to live through bacteria spikes to an added tank... petstores get away with this by using btwn 10-30% of the of the local supplies water compared to the store volume. I've read 3 is max per week, however, size of fish has much to do also. In smaller fish you can get away with 5 or 6 IMO max.

Back
Top Bottom