10 gallon with bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gloomy

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I've had a 10 gallon set up for 4 months empty...I've just been adding ammonia to keep the cycle going...I just couldn't decide what I wanted to put in it. Today my boyfriend told me if I didn't put something in it he was going to take it down...I went out looking for a couple dwarf puffers but couldn't find any. So I got two male bettas. Why are they chasing each other around and fighting so much?? Should I add another one?? Or maybe some more hiding spots??

Did I scare anyone?? I actually got two pretty girls...a gorgeous red and a white with pink fins. They are doing well so far after an initial flaring match they have picked their chosen spots and are cruising around nicely. I'm planning on adding either oto's or cory's any idea which would be better?? If corys...it would be either albinos or julis...my favorites.

Congrats on the new fish, and yes you had my fingers poised for some strong posting. :) When do we get pics of the girls?

oh god, you scared me for sure. lol. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! thats the fist thing that ran throught my mind.

Otos, i love them, and they stay small so you could add about 5 to the tank. Cories get bigger, and they school, so i would stick with maybe 5 otos, they will school together too.

wow, yea i was just about to scroll down and start a post myself without fully reading your initial post. You scared the *beep* outta me.

You will love the girls. I have a 10 devoted to three girls, and four black neons. I love my girls so much. They will come up to the water line at feeding time and jump up out of the water for the food. Its so cute.

I would defintly add a few ottos, some of the cories i have seen get too large for a 10g (my emeralds are almost 3" each.)

hehehehe...Just thought it would be fun...I will have pics tomorrow! Too lazy to get the camera out now...Oto's sound like fun and I know I can find them...I already have cory's in my other tank...one question...I feed the cory's hikari wafers...the ones for catfish...would the oto's eat those or should I get the other algae wafers?...(it has a picture of a pleco)...In the AA profile for oto's..."Healthy Otos should have chubby bellies and should be pooping constantly." I thought that was funny.

Emerald cories look like monsters compared to my little julis....they are growing slow...about an inch and a half long

personally i'd add another two girls to help with the aggression, usually the minimum number of females in one tank is 3 but i have 4 in my ten (with a pair of otos) and they're doing great ^__^

and yes otos will eat the algae wafers, mine do anyway.

and just because i feel like it, here's my girly tank lol
i have a few more plants in there now tho, oh and ignore the music lol

Could I add two female bettas to a 10 gal tank with only a male betta in it? I don't have any place to put them if they aren't wanted but I'd like to add them if chances are they will do ok together.

Yes, you can add females to the male betta tank. Art 10g they have room to move. Add a few plants or a log or something so they have places to hide. My bettas like to sleep near or under things. One goes inside the castle, some go undr the plants. Every morning I have to look for one of my newer males, he sleeps behind the rocks and plants.

collegelife101 said:
Could I add two female bettas to a 10 gal tank with only a male betta in it? I don't have any place to put them if they aren't wanted but I'd like to add them if chances are they will do ok together.

I would not recommend adding the females. The male is established in his territory now. He may fight with the females. Male-female betta pairings can still be very aggressive. Usually they are only put together for mating when they both show signs that they are ready. A male betta can harrass a female to death if she is not interested in mating; that's why male-female pairings as tankmates usually don't work. You say you don't have another tank to separate the females out if they don't work in the male's tank. Since you don't have a backup tank, I wouldn't attempt it.

If you have a male in a 10 gallon...get a tank divder and seperate it...the you could have a boy/boy or a boy/girl tank...I had originally tried that with mine ...but I have a sand substrate and a pig headed betta and he would push and dig to the other side. So it was a no-go on adding both....and here is a link to pics of my bettas...I hope.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/gloom_and_doom/Fish/cinderbetta.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/gloom_and_doom/Fish/LadyMacBetta.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/gloom_and_doom/Fish/Angel.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/gloom_and_doom/Fish/AlphaBeta.jpg

Back
Top Bottom