10 gallon with Ich attack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunny004

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just want to document the battle I started today with Ich. 10 gallon tank with 6 black phantom tetras, 6 neon tetras, a pleco and a Cory.

The Cory brought the Ich from Petco.

I am going to use heat to attempt to correct the issue.

Thanks for all of the great Ich information out there on the forum.

image-4169742648.jpg

Another photo from this morning. The sad part about this is it is my tank at school. This morning my children found out about it. Much concern.

A few questions for the community: how many fish do you lose on an average outbreak?

Bringing up the temp to 87 today.

You could take them(decorations) out and sterilize them in vinegar or a bleach solution. If you used a bare bottom tank and treated the ich with medication and heat you could be extra careful and replace the decorations and gravel when the entire ich life cycle has been completely gone for 2-3 weeks without any sign of new spots... The filter and cycle are up to you if you want to start over for the sake of total decontamination.

So all fish are still alive. The Black Phantom Tetras are taking the brunt of the Ich attack. Water temp is up to 87 degrees and I used a tiny amount of salt when I vacuumed the gravel yesterday. Here is a photo of one of the Black Phantom tetras.

image-3618010960.jpg

Cool!! Good job.

I saw a Valentini puffer and a trigger fish both totally over taken with Ich at a fish store that they kept treating for a month at least (I was visiting every week as I set up my FOWLR tank) and the fish pulled through! I thought it was miraculous. The employee was like,"yeah, of course they healed" when I expressed surprise. Just keep at it!

I read in a few articles and wiki that ich can't live without a host for more 2-4 days. Bump the temp up its even less. What do you guys know

I feel your pain. Took me about 3 weeks to get over this. Raised the temp only to 84 because I did not want to kill the plants/ shrimp and used Kordons Ich Attack or Rid Ich. Both made the room smell! Hopefully all goes well and you can turn this into a learning opportunity.

The increased temp speeds up the Ich life cycle and reduces the window of time the free swimming stage has to find a host. In very COLD water this window can last for weeks. 2-4 days is about right for a heated tank.
Told myself that the next occupants will be quarantined. Even when looking for plants I tend to prefer those in fishless tanks. I'm paranoid like that.

I read in a few articles and wiki that ich can't live without a host for more 2-4 days. Bump the temp up its even less. What do you guys know

Ya, the articles that I have read all indicate that they need a hat to live. The thing that halts the cycle and kills the off the Ich is that they can't reproduce at tempts over something like 82 degrees, 86 to be safe. I actually have my infected tank at 87 right now. So, in theory, providing I don't have a heat resistant strain of Ich, I should be good or at least much better come Monday...kinda glad I can't see the poor guys sat and sun because it is so sad to see them covered in Ich spots.

I will write another update today when I get into work.

Happy Friday!

Death. Came in to 4 dead Black Phantom Tetras the other two are looking very weak. Tank temp is up to 87 and the other fish, neons, a Cory, and a pleco all seem to be ok.

I had red phantoms that got ich. I feed then rich food water was perfect but they still died one by one, except 2(out of 10) i think tetras have weaker immune system from the jump or something

Oh man!!! Drag. But no man left behind! We may have survivors yet!

Try adding salt and heat. Ich doesn't like salt. Plants and snails don't either. Add salt and crank your heat. I had to use meds because my plant could not take the salt.

Putting all of those fish in a 10 gallon tank is quite risky for the filter, it could end up killing all of your fish because it struggles, diseases like this can be treated, just put them in a seperate tank in the meantime

Back
Top Bottom