10 gallon with very low ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thedavinator

Aquarium Advice Regular
About a month ago I setup a 10 gallon betta sorority tank with 5 females and live plants. Almost from the beginning, the ph has been consistently low. About a week ago one of the bettas suddenly died, as well as the water westeria I had in the tank. I have been consistently doing small water changes, along with larger changes once or twice a week in a fruitless attempt to raise the ph. I've tested my tap water with and without water conditioner, and both yielded fairly basic water. I vacuum the substrate with almost every water change to remove waste and uneaten foods. I have a sand substrate. I have removed the terra cotta pots I had in the tank as a precaution, but I feel they were not effecting the ph. The last two days I have added half a teaspoon of baking soda, and that has been beneficial, but only temporarily. There must be something I'm missing or overlooking. I am not new to owning fish, but it has been a few years since I have. Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated. I'm really worried about my lady bettas. Thank you!

Get some crushed coral and add it to the substrate or filter. It will take the PH up and stabilize it.

You might be stressing over nothing. May I ask what your pH readings are?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom