100 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whehudeh

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm about to receive a 100 gal tank and I can't decide on what kind of fish I'd like to keep in there. I currently have a 38 gal community tank with Angels, red tail sharks & plecos.
I have no experience with aggressive fish but I'm torn between them & Discus. I would rather NOT have any fish that will grow bigger than 5-6 inches. Any suggestions........
Also looking for suggestions on filters and substrate (I'm a little scared when it comes to sand because no experience in cleaning it). Thank you in advance for your input.

There are quite a few 6 inch or smaller cichlids you could put in there. If you do discus stick with discus only as they are touchy. Water parameters are specific and water quality has to be pristine with a higher temp.

You could do a tank of large number of schooling fish with some bottom dwellers.

Substrate depends on what you decide to get with fish. The same with filtration.

Hmmm, cichlids or schooling fish. What's the deal with cichlids because of course they're a few different kinds that comes from different places eg. South American. How do you know which are compatible? I definitely don't want to breed them so how many males or females would you recommend for a tank? Does the tank have to be heavily planted or have more rocks? I'm truly a novice and I can't rely on a pet store be honest as most of the time they're just trying to sell their fish.

Africans love rocks whereas my South Americans love plants. I have a sand substrate in both. Beware as some cichlids are highly aggressive and when mature can only be housed by themselves as the will kill everything in their tanks. Stay away from jaguars and dobii! Those fish are known to attack you during feeding and cleaning.

Oscars are cool but they are messy eaters so be sure to have a pleco and other schooling fish that will clean up their uneaten food. I have tinfoil barbs for mine. I also have bala sharks(only recommended in really large tanks; 500+ gallons, a large pleco, a Jack Dempsey, and an eartheater

South American and Central American cichlids can be housed together. African should stay with themselves exclusively. IME most cichlids will tear up plants. There are calm cichlids of the SA and CA types that can be housed together in an all male tank. A few would be Bolivian Ram, German blue ram, Apistogramma, Texas Cichlid, keyhole, blue Acara, rainbow cichlid, jack Dempsey, convict, Firemouth, blood parrot, and several out of the heros cichlid group. I'm sure I'm missing some but there's a few examples. Read up on new world cichlids if you go that route....less aggression...and see what you like and if they can be paired together. Remember, you need enough room for them to establish territory. So cramming a bunch in a 100g probably won't end well. Most people keep a species only tank....all cichlids...with rock decor as they like to either eat plants or uproot them. Best bet is to read up on them and see what you are willing to handle and what you are attracted to in a specific fish.

Discus are great fish to keep, and the person who can keep them healthy and thriving is truely an accomplished fish keeper. Discus need very warm water, 82 - 86 degrees; pristine water, requiring at least 50% WC's a week. Another consideration is diet. Mine would only eat frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. My LFS sell Discus for $40 and up.
For medium sized cichlids research, Firemouths, Electric Blue Acaras, Salvini Cichlid, maybe even the Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. Not quite as big and mean as the standard Jack.
You can include schooling fish like: Columbian Tetras, Red Eye Tetras, Buenios Aires Tetras, Diamond Tetras, or Giant Danios.
Filtration: 2x Fluvals Aqua Clear 110's or one of Fluvals canisters, FX4 or FX6.
Substrate: "Very" small grain gravel. I've no experience with sand.
Good luck with the new tank.

Thanks everyone, I see that I have a lot of research to do as I'm a little anal about this hobby and truly don't believe in overcrowding. I keep a pristine tank and I'm always inspecting my fish. I measure my parameters weekly as well as 10-20% water change every 3 days. 1-2 weeks 50% change and clean my canister every 5-8 weeks. Some may say that's too much but I live by "prevention is better than cure".

Is the tank 6' or 4' ?
That will play a role in stocking as some fish require "x" square feet or so as a territory.
I recommend against any fish mildly aggressive. No community needs a bully and the fish will thank you if you stock peaceful /compatible fish.
Have you considered just moving the fish from your 38 , adding to them and doing something more specific with the 38 ? It is always fun to play with a tank and from experience I will say the fun has a higher price with big tanks. You could do some fun experiments with the 38 while you slow grow the 100 and refine your art....

IMO angels are 'mean fish' .If you have 4+ they will require the 100 in time IMO.
Many other fish can go with them as long as they don't fit in their mouths.
Do you know what your source water test out at ? I find life easier when I match fish to my water as close as possible.
When I was on well I kept African cichlids who loved my 8.2 ph
Now with municipal supply I am having an easier time with 'community' fish since my ph is down to 7.6 which is quite a bit lower then 8.2.
Hardness will play the biggest factor and should be tested and documented [saying it is average or good means nothing]. This goes for other parameters. Eventually done correctly your knowledge of source water is just that.
Knowledge and no need to ever check again besides seasonal swing or when your supplier 'flushes'.
Many fish are very adaptable to water parameters but still may have temperature requirements other fish don't share. Fish that like being over 80f are limited IMO so average 76f range is best .
AQAdvisor is a good tool for stocking volume .It is generally erring on the side of safety and compatibility. Although not the bible a good start to ideas you can bounce off other members with lots of experience.
Your angels are South American cichlids so if you want a 'biotope' type set up look in that direction. I do mix Asian and American fish but not cichlids.. Most tetras and barbs done properly will make a nice tank and the larger will go well with your angels.
Congo tetras and Denison barbs. A school of 6 each would look real nice.
Is tank 6' or 4' long ?
I like HOBs or even sumps for large tanks..No canisters in my fish room..Many do well with them .Not me.

I'm about to receive a 100 gal tank and I can't decide on what kind of fish I'd like to keep in there. I currently have a 38 gal community tank with Angels, red tail sharks & plecos.
I have no experience with aggressive fish but I'm torn between them & Discus. I would rather NOT have any fish that will grow bigger than 5-6 inches. Any suggestions........
Also looking for suggestions on filters and substrate (I'm a little scared when it comes to sand because no experience in cleaning it). Thank you in advance for your input.

I would highly recommend a wet-dry filter, sometimes called a sump. They are very efficient, easy to clean, and keep the water pristine and well oxygenated.

IMO angels are 'mean fish' .If you have 4+ they will require the 100 in time IMO.
Many other fish can go with them as long as they don't fit in their mouths.
Do you know what your source water test out at ? I find life easier when I match fish to my water as close as possible.
When I was on well I kept African cichlids who loved my 8.2 ph
Now with municipal supply I am having an easier time with 'community' fish since my ph is down to 7.6 which is quite a bit lower then 8.2.
Hardness will play the biggest factor and should be tested and documented [saying it is average or good means nothing]. This goes for other parameters. Eventually done correctly your knowledge of source water is just that.
Knowledge and no need to ever check again besides seasonal swing or when your supplier 'flushes'.
Many fish are very adaptable to water parameters but still may have temperature requirements other fish don't share. Fish that like being over 80f are limited IMO so average 76f range is best .
AQAdvisor is a good tool for stocking volume .It is generally erring on the side of safety and compatibility. Although not the bible a good start to ideas you can bounce off other members with lots of experience.
Your angels are South American cichlids so if you want a 'biotope' type set up look in that direction. I do mix Asian and American fish but not cichlids.. Most tetras and barbs done properly will make a nice tank and the larger will go well with your angels.
Congo tetras and Denison barbs. A school of 6 each would look real nice.
Is tank 6' or 4' long ?
I like HOBs or even sumps for large tanks..No canisters in my fish room..Many do well with them .Not me.

My pH somehow never goes above 6.2 and my alkalinity is always low for some reason and my water is soft. Everything else is within the normal parameters.
I just bought a Tidal 110 (because I like Seachem) and was torn between the Sunsun 304B and the Aquaclear. I have an Aquaclear on a 10 gal with a blue crayfish and it does a better job than the Fluval 406 on the 38 gal.
What about clown loaches?

Big yes to clown loaches !
I may be the only advocate . They are one of my all time favorites.
Get 5 at least.
I have 11 in my 180 that range between 10-15 years with me.
GREAT FISH. You have a tank they could do well in.
Your water is basically perfect for South American cichlids . There are many to choose from like the angels that can get big down to the dwarf cichlids like ram or apistos.

Back
Top Bottom