105W Compact Fluorescent Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chodom

Aquarium Advice Regular
I ordered three of these 6500k 105w CFL that has a lumen output of 6500, they only cost me $14.00 and my main question is has anyone used lights of this nature for plants? I believe this should work quite well and be by far the cheapest route for lighting I have found. I would love your opinions and advice with these.

I've never used 105w CFL's. Are they actually 105w or 105w equivalent? CFL's are definitely a cheap way to light a tank, and if you can reflect most of the light down, can get some pretty intense lighting. They won't touch a T5HO on taller tanks, but for shallow tanks, they can be a fantastic option.

I've never used 105w CFL's. Are they actually 105w or 105w equivalent? CFL's are definitely a cheap way to light a tank, and if you can reflect most of the light down, can get some pretty intense lighting. They won't touch a T5HO on taller tanks, but for shallow tanks, they can be a fantastic option.

Yeah they are the 105w=400w equivalent, I am thinking very serious lighting, and I am thinking almost just using one to two of them on my 40gallon as it pretty shallow. I am pretty stoked about the deal I got on them and would be happy to share the deal if anyone is interested in where I found them for that price.

I'm interested in seeing how they do. I've not seen 105w CFL's. On a 40g (long, tall, or breeder?), that'll probably be co2 territory if you use two. Any plans for the fixture? I assume you're going to DIY something?

I'm interested in seeing how they do. I've not seen 105w CFL's. On a 40g (long, tall, or breeder?), that'll probably be co2 territory if you use two. Any plans for the fixture? I assume you're going to DIY something?

Its a breeder and I have Co2 already with a paintball canister, I am going to do alot of documentation on the results as I think its a pretty crazy endeavor. Yeah I think I am going to do a canopy fixture deal with white backing.

Just keep heat in mind as you're building it. Vents will definitely be a must, fans would probably be a good idea if you know enough to rig up a couple computer fans. I've used the 13w CFL's over 10g tanks and they grew plants really well (and also get quite warm). If you can point a lot of that light down in the tank, you're going to really have a lot of light.

Just keep heat in mind as you're building it. Vents will definitely be a must, fans would probably be a good idea if you know enough to rig up a couple computer fans. I've used the 13w CFL's over 10g tanks and they grew plants really well (and also get quite warm). If you can point a lot of that light down in the tank, you're going to really have a lot of light.

Yeah I am a computer tech so got plenty of fans laying around and yeah I been using 25w CFL's for quite some time, but on the bigger tanks, takes quite a few to get any real light on it so I will definitively take photos as I do this project and this may just be the cheapest form of lighting I found.

Got the bulbs, I ordered three and got four by though mistake by the company I ordered from, so I put two on my 40 gallon breeder, and wow, huge difference from the 4 T12 bulbs I was using. Totally worth the money. Ill post pictures here in a minute.

Looking forward to updates. I'd also like to know where you got them, it sounds like a pretty cheap and efficient setup. Are you putting them in regular screw in fixtures?

For now I am putting them into these cheap walmart fixtures, looks kinda dumb though as these bulbs are quite large, I will have to make a enclosure of some sort for them. As far as where I got them, pm me and Ill send you a link.

You just burned my eyeballs.

Maybe so, but defiantly the cheapest form of light I have found. A T5HO putts out 5000 Lumens at 6500K for about $20.00 a bulb where these put out 6500 Lumens at 6500k for $14, and the fixture is a regular screw in light socket where you can spend upwards of $80-$200 for a fixture with a ballast. So to get appox. the same output of light, (14x3)+(8x3)= $66, or (20x4)+(80)=$160. Huge difference in price.

Nice job. Can you post a picture or the rig with the lights off ?I need a welding hood after that video. Thanks

jetajockey said:
Looking forward to updates. I'd also like to know where you got them, it sounds like a pretty cheap and efficient setup. Are you putting them in regular screw in fixtures?

Me too, I just checked for them on Amazon. The ones I saw were 20 dollars each and upwards

Back
Top Bottom