10G Beginner Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AutogolazzoJr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, just thought I'd ask a few questions about me getting into the saltwater hobby. I would like start a 10 gallon reef tank for my first tank. Yes, an alarm bell is going off in your head right now, but I'll tell you why it should be fine.
1. I'll take it slow, and stock low. Not to many fish going in, and I will give a good time to cycle and add fish/coral/cuc slowly.
2. I've done 'bout 2 years of research :cool::cool::cool:

Specs:
Tank: 10 gallon aqueon (already have)
Lighting: Finnex marine+ 2 20" (lots of positive reviews, 60 dollars)
Filter: Aqueon 20 (already own) that I may
1. Go full bio and not use
2. Use only for clearing water or purigen
3. Convert to hob refugium
4. Use full time in regular mode
Heater: 50w aqueon pro (awesome, already have, best heater, larger size needed?)
Sand: 20 pounds livesand
Rock: 10 pounds liverock
Powerhead: The cheapest one I can find (flowrate?)

Some questions:
Filtration, go full bio or use the aqueon? I am worried about the aqueon becoming a nitrate factory.
Fish, I am thinking 1 clown or a goby/pistol. Trying to keep bioload low for beginner.
Coral, I am going to start with probably zoas and shrooms, in the future maybe a torch but stay mostly softies.
Lighting: Is my choice good? I have heard nothing but great results from the light, but is there anything cheaper I should know of?

Thanks,
Ethan

People can use HOB filters like this with success when they modify them to fit different needs. If you clean them weekly during your water changes, don't worry about it becoming a nitrate trap.
I'm a fan of koralia powerheads. They are cheap and reliable.
The lighting should be fine for low light corals.
When it comes to your HOB filter, I would either have it growing macro algae or running purigen. Purigen is a great product. For algae, the whole thing will need to be for such as more room for algae growth. More algae = more nitrates removed.

Hey, thanks for replying. Will the light be okay for medium light corals, like zoas and torches? It is okay if i place them near the top of the tank. If not, any other fixture I can use for a similar price?

My first reef tank was a ten gallon too. It took me w while to catch up with the curve, but eventually I figured it out. I would strongly recommend you clean your filter out weekly. I also run a Hob on my reef and I clean it when ever I change the water. Also I would highly recommend getting some sort of high quality carbon/resin like perigean or Chemi pure Blue. I run Chemi pure Blue on my tank and couldn't be happier. There is a tangible difference from when I didn't use it in my filter. You will have a great time with your reef. It really is a ton of fun. One nice thing you'll find about a ten gallon is that it's not nearly as expensive to fill up with corals! You can have a mature, full looking tank rather quickly compared to larger tanks.

Back
Top Bottom