10g light that would fit into the hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep - they sell them at WalMart. They are compact flourscent bulbs from Lights of America. The 15Watt bulbs fit perfectly - be sure to get the ones that say "sunlight". The model number is 2215S-VP.

If you tank came with an Incadescent Light Fixture, then follow Joannde's advice.

However if you tank came with a Flourescent Light Fixture then you just want to get a bulb that has a Kelvin rating between 5000K and 10000K. You don't need to buy a specialty aquarium or plant bulb, a generic bulb from the hardware store in that Kelvin range will work just fine. Unfortunately 15 watts isn't a lot of light over a 10 gallon tank, so you'll need to stick to mostly low light plants.

Sorry, I should have clarified - I was thinking the standard 10G hood with two bulbs. I have two of the 15W bulbs in my tank. LWB has the same and does well with it (and I'm hoping I do just as well ! LOL)

on the back of my hood it says 20" flourecent aquarium reflector 120 volt 19 watt and 60 hz so that in mind what would i be best off replacing that light with.

Sounds like the standard flourescent fixture for a 10 gallon. Follow the advice that I gave you above.

If you're looking for more light than that will provide you, you could replace it with an incadescent fixture, get a second flourescent fixture, or Over Drive your current fixture.

What would you guys suggest i do if i want to have a high light 10g instead of a low light? i would like to be able to put any plant in it and need to use co2. Should i just use a regular light over the tank instead of the hood? or is there something strong enough that would fit in the hood.
By the way its an incadecent hood.

My personal favorite is the Current Satellite 2x40watt Power Compact fixture. With a dual daylight and a 50/50 bulb, I've got a total of 60watts usable light over the tank (Very High Light) and can grow pretty much anything I want. I believe some are even betting that I'll try running the full 80watts one of these days. If you wanted to save a little money you could stick with just the 1x40watt version, which would still probably get you high light and allow you to grow most plants. If you can pick up either version refurbished, then you'll be able to save even more money.

Back
Top Bottom