10g New Aquarium 2wks old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylan07

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi AA I'm a newbie to the hobby and are hearing people talking about the cycle and testing and WC(water changes) I let my tank sit for 28hrs with the filter and decor in the tank just to Clear my tap water as I use Big ALS water conditioner and bio support, I went the next day and got 3 platys and 3 white clouded minnows to start my cycle. I feed my fish what the store recommended which is omega one what they feed them in store. I was told to hold off on my water changes for the first 2 weeks to build bacteria and I haven't bought the API test kit yet as I hope to get that on Wednesday with my siphon, starting yesterday I saw a change in my water clarity it got cloudy and also my one platy started to slow down and just stay at the bottom of the tank, he/she is not dying at least I hope. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice and tell me if the guy at the fish store is setting me up for failure not cleaning my tank in 2 weeks, your feedback is greatly appreciated!!
Dylan07

Your ammonia and nitrites should be at zero and nitrates can be a little over zero. But to get this your tank has to be cycled. I lost a lot if fish until I learned about cycling. Then I was suggested to use sachem stability. After using It for the one week it says on the direction my tank was cycled. I haven't lost any fish ever since and they all seem really happy:)

I recommend trying it. It's safe to use with fish already in the tank.

If a store tells you to skip water changes in a cycling tank then I would highly suggest that you ignore ANY advice that they ever give you.

You need to do a 50% anytime your ammonia teaches .5ppm. Doing this keeps the toxins in your tank to a minimum and allows you to keep your fish safe.

Oh yeah. I would use the stability And then do water changes about every other day just to be in the safe side.

I agree with D_Tristan.If you dont have a test kit yet do regular water changes and I also recommend using Prime as your dechlorinator.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dont listen to the guy at the store. Daily 25% changes will be benificial. Waiting 2 weeks will build up deadly amounts of ammonnia, nitrates, and nitrites. Your platy needs that water change. Staying on the bottom usually = soon to be dead.

Thanks I have already read the wiki and getting started guide. I did a water change and a water test yesterday I have the API test kit and tested my ammonia and it was .25ppm so I did a 50% water change and I'm going to test nitrites today. If they are high ill do another water change, my fish sadly died the other day. But the rest of them are still doing good. I'll post my water tests and hope to get your feedback on what is happening thank you :)

Hi again everyone also can you tell me what Ian suppose to do with my filter like when to change it I heard that once a month you take the media cartridge and rinse it in your tank before you change the water, and also change the carbon all in one once every 3-4 weeks is this correct ??

Good job on learning that new information. Keep in mind that the WCMMs (White Cloud Mountain Minnows) would prefer a school of at least 6.

Well for activated carbon it expires in around 3-4 weeks generally. Think of it like a sponge, soaking up chemicals in the water. Eventually it becomes full and stops working. There's no need to replace it that often though. I don't replace mine at all TBH. I just leave it there. It would be pretty expensive to keep replacing. For the rest of the media, once a month you can just swish it around in some tank water from a water change. You don't really replace them until they literally fall apart. But that'll take a while.

The whole thing isn't to big of a deal.

For a cheap option. I use polyfill used for seat cushions. It can be bought for $10 at walmart and you'll never need to buy filters ever again. Its also finer than the disposable filters and polishes your water to make it crystal clear and add a small bag of ceramic rings, and you'll have a great filter for that 10gallon tank. I dont use carbon btw.

Ok I think for now ill just stick to the filters just because I am still cycling but I will definitely keep that in mind

Hi Everyone this is my recent Nitrite Test it looks like a 1.0ppm to me and I have to go to a conference right now so I am changing the water first thing tomorrow, what do you think ?? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391131927.729886.jpg

Ok I think for now ill just stick to the filters just because I am still cycling but I will definitely keep that in mind

Definitely, but when you want to upgrade use this video, it changed how I keep fish.

Thanks so much Pitbully. I definitely am going to do that once my cartridge is up for a replacement. That has completely changed my thought on filters. Also she said rinse in a bucket of tank water does she mean old or stuff you are about to put back into your tank ? Anyways thanks a lot I'm really glad I came to AA so many people willing to help the newbie.

Good video, one thing to note though is that carbon doesnt leech stuff back into the water line she said. It just doesn't work that way.

Also, depending on the quality / amount of the carbon it can last anywhere from 1 week to a full month.

Back
Top Bottom