10g New Aquarium 2wks old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks so much Pitbully. I definitely am going to do that once my cartridge is up for a replacement. That has completely changed my thought on filters. Also she said rinse in a bucket of tank water does she mean old or stuff you are about to put back into your tank ? Anyways thanks a lot I'm really glad I came to AA so many people willing to help the newbie.

The old stuff you take out.(y)

Thanks so much Pitbully. I definitely am going to do that once my cartridge is up for a replacement. That has completely changed my thought on filters. Also she said rinse in a bucket of tank water does she mean old or stuff you are about to put back into your tank ? Anyways thanks a lot I'm really glad I came to AA so many people willing to help the newbie.

Your welcome, just doing my part to spread the joy of fish keeping . As quoted already the old tank water is the method for cleaning filter media. Whenever you decide to go this route, dont throw away your old filter. Just remove the filter floss from the plastic part that it comes on and sandwiche it between the new pieces of poly floss, that way you don't lose you cycle.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thanks I was just a bit unclear on that, I've seen people rinse then in there tank so they don't get rid of any of the bacteria, but thank you that's good to know.

Hi everyone, just did a water change and everyone in the tank is loving it can definitely see a difference in the fish after a water change, just wondering when should I test my water again? That is all for now.

Hi everyone I did a 50% water change today and I'm just testing the water now about 9 hrs after the water change and these are my levels. Thinking of doing another water change tomorrow trying to get those trites down. If you have any input it is greatly appreciated. I feel I am going thru the nitrite spike now.

Hi everyone I did a 50% water change today and I'm just testing the water now about 9 hrs after the water change and these are my levels. Thinking of doing another water change tomorrow trying to get those trites down. If you have any input it is greatly appreciated. I feel I am going thru the nitrite spike now.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391222020.671478.jpghere is the water test

Maybe you should do another today...NItrites are not as bad as ammonia, but still toxic to fish. Second opinion anyone?

Edit: well I guess I'm a little late with this post. lol

Ok thank you. I was already planning on it, I want those trites to drop.

Maybe you should do another today...NItrites are not as bad as ammonia, but still toxic to fish. Second opinion anyone?

Edit: well I guess I'm a little late with this post. lol

Nitrites are believed to be more toxic than ammonia actually. I have never been able to find any specific reading on the topic but that is the general consensus.

Yeah, I think that nitrite vs. ammonia thing is true because sometimes ammonia is much less toxic then nitrite, depending on the pH and temperature of the water. I've heard that sometimes even 1 ppm of ammonia is fine, depending on those other params, but I still don't think it's optimal.

Back
Top Bottom