10g Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilkieam

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so after some time I got very tired of the fake-looking artificial plants that I initially purchased when buying my tank. So, a few weeks ago I purchased a few plants to see how things would go. So far, pretty well. I've seen some growth on my plants and my java fern has even produced a few plantlets. But now I feel I should really scape my tank and make it reach the standard that has been set by those here in the planted tank forum.

So here's what the tank looks like at the moment:

~Flora~
- (3) Amazon Swords
- (2) Windelov Java Fern
- (2) Windelov Java Fern Plantlets

~Fauna~
- Dwarf Gourami
- Indian Glass Fish
- (2) Gold Neon Tetras*
- (2) Regular Neon Tetras*
- (2) Cardinal Tetras*
- (2) Glowlight Tetras
- (4) Ghost Shrimp

*These three pairs school together

I currently use API LeafZone bi-weekly.

Future Plans For The Tank:

This weekend I plan on purchasing some lava rock and driftwood to spruce up the tank and attach my java fern to as I am aware java fern is better off when attached to something and not in the substrate. I also plan on replacing the gravel in my tank with CaribSea FloraMax or EcoComplete, whichever my local Petsmart has available (only one of the two pet stores in my immediate area, the other doesn't really carry plant related items). To supplement my plants, I plan on purchasing Liquid CO2 Supplement and SeaChem Flourish Comprehensive, and I'm currently in the process of ordering Osmocote Plus Root Tabs.

Future plant purchases are to be expected, as to what kinds I'm not sure as of yet. I'm very appreciative of any suggestions of low to medium light plants that one may offer. Also I'd appreciate any advice or guidance you guys could give.

Pictures of the tank:

image-4244248529.jpg

image-1205106931.jpg

image-2835020851.jpg

image-1526948932.jpg

Thanks again,
Audrey

Sounds like you have a solid plan. I love planted tanks! You re testing with API liquid test kit, yes? I have a list of low-med plants if you re interested .

Sounds like you have a solid plan. I love planted tanks! You re testing with API liquid test kit, yes? I have a list of low-med plants if you re interested .

Yes, I am using API Liquid Test Kit. My most current readings (as of yesterday... It's 3 am here lol) are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 20 ppm nitrate.

And I'd love to see your list! I plan too much, but when you only make $200 biweekly (minimum wage sucks) it kind of helps to plan ahead so you know how much you're spending haha.

image-51704286.jpg

image-3849005432.jpg

Included this pic of one of my planted tanks cuz I really like the plants on the left behind the nano Anubus (not sure about that name), but not sure of their name either. Wish I could spout plant names like Rivercats! Anyway, if you like it, I could maybe figure out the name from my LFS receipts. The leaves have a rich brown color which doesn t sound good! but I really like them.

image-390939220.jpg
I cropped a different pic so maybe u could see them better. Some of the leaves are green but then they get a chocolate coloring.

Included this pic of one of my planted tanks cuz I really like the plants on the left behind the nano Anubus (not sure about that name), but not sure of their name either. Wish I could spout plant names like Rivercats! Anyway, if you like it, I could maybe figure out the name from my LFS receipts. The leaves have a rich brown color which doesn t sound good! but I really like them.

Thank you for the list! I think we all wish we were Rivercats, haha. I have serious tank envy when they post pics of their tanks.

And I get what you're saying about the leaves, everything I have is really green so I'm trying to figure out what else I could possibly put in to add color. I wish my LFS's had more variety. Unfortunately, ordering online isn't typically an option because my parents won't allow me to have a PayPal. I was blessed enough to find someone who'd accept cash for root tabs, which I'll let you know how that goes as I can afford to lose $12 ($10 for 100 tabs, $2 shipping).

I cropped a different pic so maybe u could see them better. Some of the leaves are green but then they get a chocolate coloring.

Ah, that's the one I thought you were talking about. I do like it, but I won't put you through the trouble of looking up the name.

Really hope you get the root tabs ok.
I ll go try to find it. Can t sleep & just keep thinking about issues at work. Could use a good distraction .

Really hope you get the root tabs ok.
I ll go try to find it. Can t sleep & just keep thinking about issues at work. Could use a good distraction .
Thank you. As for me, I'm dead tired and going to go to bed. Lol

I'll look at the thread when I get up in the morning, so post if you do find the name of it. I'm sorry about work issues by the way, whatever it may be I hope it's resolved quickly.

image-3759410292.jpg

Found it! Take care, post pics as you go with your tank, would love to see your progress.

Update! I really loved how it turned out... May or may not switch the gravel to FloraMax now.. I think I kind of like it.

image-1195036343.jpg

image-1530589740.jpg

image-2106856981.jpg

image-2987509592.jpg

Looks good ! Love that DW.

Thank you! I was actually very pleased with how the driftwood turned out! It looked just plain brown at Petsmart, but I liked the shape. But after I washed it off and started boiling it the colors really started to show and I fell in love with it!

Today I added some bacopa and a moss ball (I know, the scaping is lousy, I'll probably change it up when the plants get bigger). Also, bought a new DG because the previous one passed away the day after rescaping the tank.

image-3295789603.jpg

image-4054722220.jpg

image-1415465888.jpg

Back
Top Bottom