10G Planted Picture Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for the lack of updates, but I started school on monday, so I've been busy. Anyway, I started running the 105 on my established 20g, about a week ago, so by the time the tank is set up it should be seeded. I ordered:

500 ml flourish
500 ml excel
16 oz leaf zone
40 flourish tabs
a heater
a co2 drop checker

All should be in in 2 weeks, but probably before then.

A couple new things:

First of all, I decided not to make this tank a biotype, considering that CPDs live in small pools in myanmar, it is quite difficult to make it a biotype. So I'm willing to use any plant from anywhere, so I will post my updated plant list soon.

Second, I finished my DIY Co2 setup, and it's pretty simple. I just haven't filled it yet. Here's 2 pics of the DIY co2.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 78
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 83
OK, still nothing worth talking about, I just feel the need to say something!!!

My amazon order came in, and I got pretty much everything I need so far, except for fauna and flora, so this weekend I'll hopefully be putting the substrate down, at least, and probably the hardscape too!

After that, I'll plan exactly what plant goes where, and then I'll start planting!! :dance:

If there's anyone out there following, thanks for listening to me running my mouth, if not, then you aren't reading this anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter! :D

Substrate!

I got the substrate in yesterday! I think it looks good. I just flooded the tank, and I started getting some of the gravel off of the sand. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 74
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 87
  • photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 81
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 84
Can I use Eco complete by itself? Or do I have to use gravel as well?
Random question sorry.

Well, eco complete is gravel, so yeah you can use it by itself.

Cool!! Thanks man. I saw some people using it and I thought I would buy some to increase the life of my plants. :). Not sure what it was.

How's your DIY co2 working out? I want to make one but I really don't have space for that type of set up in my room. I need something that hangs off. Have you read of any good co2 options?

You would be better off spending the money you would use to by Eco Complete on good fertilizers and either liquid carbon or CO2 depending on the lighting and plants you have. Eco is a good substrate don't get me wrong and I use it in all my tanks but it's not going to make any noticeable difference in your plants like good lighting, ferts, and liquid carbon or CO2 will.

Cool!! Thanks man. I saw some people using it and I thought I would buy some to increase the life of my plants. :). Not sure what it was.

How's your DIY co2 working out? I want to make one but I really don't have space for that type of set up in my room. I need something that hangs off. Have you read of any good co2 options?

Anytime. Yeah, eco complete would help, but you can also just put root tabs under the plants that are heavy root feeders, like crypts, swords, and some others. The tank isn't set up yet, I just have the substrate in now, so I haven't used the diy co2. It should work fine for you and not be too big/bulky. What size tank will yours be on and where will it go (stand, etc.)?

You would be better off spending the money you would use to by Eco Complete on good fertilizers and either liquid carbon or CO2 depending on the lighting and plants you have. Eco is a good substrate don't get me wrong and I use it in all my tanks but it's not going to make any noticeable difference in your plants like good lighting, ferts, and liquid carbon or CO2 will.

Well I already bought Eco for 10 $ they had a sale and I snatched one up. I thought it was a steal. I have good lighting (led 6000w (that is good lighting right?haha)) do you recommend any good CO2 kits?

That was an excellent price for Eco! What brand of LED lighting are you using? Only a small number of LED fixtures are actually made for planted tanks.

As for CO2 I personally wouldn't mess with DIY but instead get a Paintball regulator from Aquatek. I don't have a small one but use the Aquatek regulators on my larger CO2 set ups. Or you can also use liquid carbon such as Excel. I use the generic of Excel, Metricide 14 Day Solution which after mixed with RO or Distilled water gives you 2 gallons for about $27 including shipping. I ran my 220g 100% planted tank for well over a year using only liquid carbon at the proper dose needed for a high production tank with very high light. You have a choice. You also need to look into dry ferts which are much cheaper and gives you a full macro and micro dosing regime.

Anytime. Yeah, eco complete would help, but you can also just put root tabs under the plants that are heavy root feeders, like crypts, swords, and some others. The tank isn't set up yet, I just have the substrate in now, so I haven't used the diy co2. It should work fine for you and not be too big/bulky. What size tank will yours be on and where will it go (stand, etc.)?

image-3621144009.jpg

This is my set up, barely have any room to hang anything or have anything around the outside. It also has to look nice obviously.
Let me know how your co2 does. 10gallon tank.

That was an excellent price for Eco! What brand of LED lighting are you using? Only a small number of LED fixtures are actually made for planted tanks. As for CO2 I personally wouldn't mess with DIY but instead get a Paintball regulator from Aquatek. I don't have a small one but use the Aquatek regulators on my larger CO2 set ups. Or you can also use liquid carbon such as Excel. I use the generic of Excel, Metricide 14 Day Solution which after mixed with RO or Distilled water gives you 2 gallons for about $27 including shipping. I ran my 220g 100% planted tank for well over a year using only liquid carbon at the proper dose needed for a high production tank with very high light. You have a choice. You also need to look into dry ferts which are much cheaper and gives you a full macro and micro dosing regime.

With my Eco would I have to be replacing it every so often? Can I also mix it with my rocks?

I have a marineland single bright led

Perfect info thank you. So, I would be perfectly fine growing baby dwarf tears in my tank with excel. ? That's one of my main reasons. I'm going to go get some drift wood and plant some moss on it as well. And some tall plants here and there.

I've had Eco in one tank over 5 years so no you don't have to replace it at least not for years to come. Yes HC is the one carpeting plant that can be grown with only using a liquid carbon but the lighting you have is only low light and wouldn't be enough to grow it.

I've had Eco in one tank over 5 years so no you don't have to replace it at least not for years to come. Yes HC is the one carpeting plant that can be grown with only using a liquid carbon but the lighting you have is only low light and wouldn't be enough to grow it.

Really? Only low lighting?!?? How much more expensive does it get for good lighting?

Being you have a 10g at least your tank is shallow which gives you a little more light but the fixture you have really isn't made for freshwater planted tanks. What I suggest is getting some low light plants like Anubia's, Java Fern's, Bolbitus, and Crypts to start and use the light you have. Using a liquid carbon will help plants use the light that is available. See how your plants do and then if down the road you want to get into higher light plants you can see about investing in a better Led made specifically for planted tanks.

Being you have a 10g at least your tank is shallow which gives you a little more light but the fixture you have really isn't made for freshwater planted tanks. What I suggest is getting some low light plants like Anubia's, Java Fern's, Bolbitus, and Crypts to start and use the light you have. Using a liquid carbon will help plants use the light that is available. See how your plants do and then if down the road you want to get into higher light plants you can see about investing in a better Led made specifically for planted tanks.

Thank you for your help. I was wondering, do you know of any grass like plant I could grow in my tank? And also grow a plant on some drift wood.

Anubia, Java Fern, and Bolbitus all do best attached to DW. For a grassy like plant you could do Micro Chain Sword but be aware it is a slow grower so you would want to start out with more so it wouldn't take as long to fill in.

Quick update:
I messed up and got a ton of eco on the sand so I'm gonna take all the sand out and get the gravel out of the sand and start over. Uggghhhhh :facepalm:

And :dance: this is my 1000th post!

Back
Top Bottom