10g rcs/ blue mexian platy build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vance1013

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've just completely redid my 10g this will now be my rcs / blue mexican platy tank I originally was planning to have my 5g be my RCS tank but now I have a lovely betta enjoying life in the 5g so I've added seeded media and dosed ammonia today plants are going to be flame moss,
Pogostemon erectus and salvinia for a floating plant here are some pics

ForumRunner_20130804_113313.jpg

ForumRunner_20130804_113328.jpg

ForumRunner_20130804_113344.jpg

ForumRunner_20130804_113402.jpg

I have noticed my shrimp population of new babies dwindling about 90% since I put my Rainbow Blue Platy fry (teenagers now), in my Cherry shrimp tank!

So I would be cautious with that being a good tank for raising RCS.
Adults maybe ok... but babies will be snacks IMHO. If yours are all adults you would have a better chance. Just make sure you have lots of good cover and hiding places with plants so when they molt they won't be soft serve!

Good call putting the Betta in a bigger tank. I just put my favorite Betta in a Chi tank I just got from CL for $20. It needs the lid so I don't worry about him jumping out, but it is awesome. If you could get one you could still do a shrimp only tank in your other tank, if you were wanting them to breed.

Have any pics to share of your Platy?

Friend of mine is breeding them for a competition and he doesn't know what to do with all of the fry so I'm going to get some

ForumRunner_20130804_123140.jpg

Also for hiding spots there us dome in the rock work along with lots of flame Moss and a nice bushy plant I'm only using 3 plants to keep it simple yet elegant and let it all grow out

Yes they are and small too about 2"-2.8" around there only keeping these pkatys alone so as not to mess with the color I think with this nice blue color and the RCS will have a great contrast in the tank

Yes they are and small too about 2"-2.8" around there only keeping these pkatys alone so as not to mess with the color I think with this nice blue color and the RCS will have a great contrast in the tank

Maybe Cardinals too when you get it established, one of my favorites, lol!

But simple is good!

I would think 10g is small for cardinals I have em in my 55 and they are awesome tetras I may eventually down the road upgrade this to a 15 or 20g tank for now this is a simple yet elegant tank I'm going for oh forgot to mention I'm running an aquatop sponge filter i m actually liking that better than a hob filter my air pump is rather quiet too so its nice

OK ran test first results
Ph 6.8
Ammonia 4ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 0ppm
I do have seeded media that I always keep in an hob just in case I need to cycle its the same media I used to cycle my 55g I think I might add more to speed it along bit I'll wait and see how this goes first

Looking good! I would get the plants now and get them established and growing before adding any shrimp so they have a place to hide when added. For a speedier cycle Cory sells Fritz's Turbo Start, it's a bottled bacteria. That stuff works great, I used it to cycle my pond.

http://www.fritzpet.com/turbo-start-700/

That's right forgot about that stuff lol will just have to get it and your right I need to get on ordering the plants

>__< I have bunch of P. erectus! If you need more let me know! I also have one of the more uncommon types of Salvinia, Cucullata.

I'll just have to take you up on that salvinia is the only one I need after I get the others

So I've decided to wait a couple days and test, when I cycled my 55g it was my first true fishless cycle so I was hovering over that like mother hen lol so now that I've gotten over that I'm kicking back and watching an empty tank lol waiting for plants arrive i will update in a couple days with test results and hopefully pics of new plants

Turbo Start! ;-)

I'd wait wait a couple months to add shrimp though they do best once the the tank has been established for awhile.

Turbo Start! ;-)

I'd wait wait a couple months to add shrimp though they do best once the the tank has been established for awhile.

That is good to know now does that mean my platys come first lol (hint hint) or add shrimp first then platys

Back
Top Bottom