10g stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexp08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry for another stock thread. But I have a 10g planted tank currently housing about 10-15 rcs and a whole buch of snails..(they wont stoo breeding). Im wanting to add some fish. Id love some suggestions on what fisb I could get yhay wont eat my shrimp ir any baby shrimp that might pop up. Thanks!
Oh I have soft water with a ph of about 6.8

I dont want a betta tank, as i already have two

The ONLY Shrimp safe fish are Otocinclus IMHO. Everything else will eat the babies.

Ever since I added fish to my shrimp tank , I never see newborn babies, I only see the surviving juveniles.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415232613.152377.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ito algae eaters
Corys
Kuhlis which might eat really small or baby snails

It is hard to find anything that won't eat baby shrimp

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Kradads might work not sure tho sorry about my snails.

I meant to say sorry about my spelling

What are CPO's

Ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, dwarf corys, nano type fish. Alison and lots of hiding places for the baby shrimp, java moss. Alison:)

When stocking fish and shrimp it's unavoidable that the babies will get eaten. They are about the size of the tip of a sharp pencil.

To keep them successfully you need enough breeding adults and plenty of hiding places. Moss is an excellent example of this as the shrimp love it. Combine that with fish that cannot eat the adult shrimp and they will do great.

Bettas aren't really the best choice for this, but neon tetras, cory cats, oto cats, harlequin rasbora, cardinal tetras, and guppies are good examples of fish that work with them and can fit in a 10g.

I agree with Coursair that otos are your best bet if you want NO shrimp eaten. You will lose some tiny shrimplets to fish. People have varying luck with just how many shrimp their fish eat, but they will eat some young ones.
Personally, I don't believe most of the easily available tetras like cardinals and rummies belong in 10g tanks. They can get to be about 2 inches, like space, and tax the water quality. Also, bigger fish can eat bigger shrimp and thus predate them for longer.
Nano fish like cpd, embers, or similar species are a better fit IMO. But, they will eat some babies. It depends on how many shrimp you are ok with losing.

Back
Top Bottom