10G Stocking help :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crono_vivi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I have a 10G tank with an AquaClear filter rated to 20Gallons. It's going to be densely planted when I'm done, and want to know what would be some good fish that will show their natural behavior in a densly planted aquarium. Any suggestions?

depends......are you looking for a schooling fish or something that is very colorful? Do you want alot of small fish or a pair of some species? Do you want a species tank or a community tank?

A school of tetras (neon, lemon) I think look really great in a densley planted tank. Or rasboras. I have 2 10 gallons up right now one is densley planted and one has only 2 plants in for the time being with shell-dwelling cichlids; which I think would look good in a densley planted tank. In the other I have 2 flame gouramis, 1 (soon to be 3!yeah!) juli cories and 3 amano shrimp, and this combo works and looks pretty good IMO :mrgreen:

Those numbers are a bit high IMO but not out of the question. The general rule is 1" per gallon. Lots of plants can help but less so in small tanks. I prefer to understock my tanks anyway. Harlequin rasbora are the most common (up to ~1.75"), but there are smaller Microrasbora that would be a cool choice, if you can find them. And pygmy cories are small. I'd start with a small school of one species and see how things go water-quality wise. A small number of ottocinclus would also be a nice option. Food-wise algae eaters don't really add any bioload to your tank, within reason, since they're feeding an algae that's growing on fish waste.

How about 6 rasboras and 3 cories? That shouldnt be to hard on your biofilter. I don't recommend NOT counting algae eaters in your bioload. All fish produce waste no matter what they eat. Maybe 1 or 2 ottos at the most if you wanted, but not necessary.

Let us know what you decide! And pictures!!!! :)

Instead of rasboras you could try white cloud minnows, they are schooling fish and I think are hardier than rasboras. IMO I think they are cute ^_^. And with the white cloud minnows you could put 3 or 4 pygmy cories and 2 or 3 otocinculus catfish.

Instead of rasboras you could try white cloud minnows, they are schooling fish and I think are hardier than rasboras. IMO I think they are cute ^_^. And with the white cloud minnows you could put 3 or 4 pygmy cories and 2 or 3 otocinculus catfish.

Back
Top Bottom