10gal, can i add more?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am getting pretty bored with my 10gal aquarium. It was a coldwater tank but today i decided to stick a heater in it since alot of the fish are actually tropical. Here is my current stocking

1-dojo loach(3") will be moved this winter
2-platies(1" each)
3 guppies(1" each)

I would like to add a dwarf cichlid or something like that, what do you all think?

What are some other things i could add, i would like one larger fish, maybe a dwarf gourami or something, but i really like dwarf cichlids, what kind could i add, if any?

a ten, is as you know limiting...

you could probably get aways with 1 bolivian ram or a pair of GBR. maybe so ottos for algae duty...

apistos are nice, but i would not recomend less then three (1 male and 2 femals) and i think that might be too much for a ten

WaterPond said:
Bolivian Ram!! i was hoping someone would recommend those. I will look into that

They have these: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=992
at my LFS and i think they are beautiful, what do you think of them?

If not i will go with a bolivian or GBRs. THe tank not planted BTW, does that change anything?
personally i am not a Gourami "person" though i currently have a powder blue in my 28 and i have kept a couple other species in the past, but never kept the Honey Dwarf, though i think it would be ok, but i would not recommend BOTH the gourami and the Ram, either/or. i have never kept any gourami in a planted tank, but i understand they do fine. my female Bolivian i got while the largest tank i had was the 28, which was not planted. she did fine, that being said, after moving her to my planted 75, and getting her a mate, she is 1000% more active. in the un planted tank she used to hide in a ceramic cave 99% of the time.

so... my current philosophy is that tanks should be planted, if you want the fish to be most comfortable and display a fuller range of their behavior. i would plant my 28 with the gourami, but it also contains a couple fancy gold fish, that have destroyed the couple of plants i have tried in it. "technically" it is my wifes tank, so she has picked out the fish, with my gentile advice. but she is not a "fish geek" so i monitor it, and do all the work, which i enjoy, she just watches the fish, which she enjoys...

well, it was planted in the past but i found it too hard to upkeep, and besides, my plants just died. I dont have enought money for plants anyways. The lighting also really sucks on this tank. I know fish appreciate a planted tank but that is just not an option right now.

I think i might go with the gourami and see how it goes. I dont really like gouramis that much either but these gouramis are different, they just are so beautiful. Hmm, :-/ i dunno what do do now!

I would not recommend GBR's in a ten gallon tank unless you are trying to get a pair to spawn and even then, they should be the only fish in the tank. I would not put them in a tank that small with other fish. I was going to ask if it was a planted tank as well because Rams tend to be shy and need lots of cover and places to hide. JDogg showed this by stating that his Bolivian stayed in a ceramic cave most of the time. These fish will not be happy unless you provide adequate cover them.

yeah, there are a ton of plastic plants in there but still, nothing provides cover like real plants. Iwill keep looking around for new fish that i could put in the tank.

Gourami seems to be the winner so far, any other suggestions(of any other type of fish)

Back
Top Bottom