12 Gallon Eclipse Stocking ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksfishguy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just obtained a 12 gallon eclipse. This is a new area of aquatics for me, since I usually have large tanks with large fish. I currently have a 120 gallon tank with a few monsters in it. I would like to have some type of breeding fish. Please give me some recommendations with the type and number of fish I could house in a 12 gallon.

Here is a picture of my new tank!

img_836804_0_beff9149fd177bc63fd450ff8ac302e3.jpg

Thanks!

Congrats on the new "Nano" ish tank. IMO small tanks can be almost as fun as the larger ones!
So you want to breed fish? My recommendations would be a pair of dwarf rams (German Blue Rams are my favorite), or Apistogrammas. They are the smaller and more docile species of cichlids, and have some of the most outstanding colors of most freshwater fish. IMO a fully planted aquarium would suit them fine, with some rocky caves or half a flower pot to spawn in. Just a pair is what you would need, but you might would want to start off with 4-6 juveniles, wait until a pair forms, then either take the others back to the store or put them another tank... often just the suggestion.
HTH

I came into this thread thinking I would say "go for the guppies", but I think blazeyreef's suggestion of GBR's would be great.

Eclipse tanks don't have a lot of light and are hard to retrofit. I would just shoot for a low light tank and pick your species wisely.

Back
Top Bottom