120g for African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JF213

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am new to African cichlids. I have a 120g tank setup. I had SA/CA cichlids before and I am looking to try something new with my kids. I am wondering if I should go all Mbuna or all peacocks or if I could mix the two. I need a starting point. Any advise would be helpful.

Its been my experience that you should not mix them. I just kept losing expensive peacocks. Mbuna are just aggressive. Ive kept all kinds of mbuna. They just don't like peacocks or haps. I have a 125 gallon tank as well. Never tried over stocking.... that may work well, it has for others
Justin

Its been my experience that you should not mix them. I just kept losing expensive peacocks. Mbuna are just aggressive. Ive kept all kinds of mbuna. They just don't like peacocks or haps. I have a 125 gallon tank as well. Never tried over stocking.... that may work well, it has for others

Justin

How many Mbuna do you have in your tank? What types?

Might consider trying all male Peacocks. I've successfully kept Yellow tail Acei, Red Fin Borleyi and Red Top Hongi with Peacocks.
I believe the secrets to success is stocking most of the crew together as babies and provide a well designed hardscape.

I had a mixed malawi tank, Demasoni, Labs, zebras, then I tried to rotate in some peacocks...Bad results, All male peacocks are a much better idea. Now I keep just a few large SA cichlids...

Been reading that peacocks do well with haps. Anyone have experience with haps? Are the active? Any personality? What’s the positives of adding haps?

Anyone know the temperament of an Acei compared to yellow labs or Demasoni? Are Acei better kept in schools of 5?

Acei aren't very aggressive and one of the few African cichlids that will occasionally school. I kept 3 Yellow Tail Acei' s together with no problems. Yellow Labs are comparable to Firemouths regarding aggression. More bark than bite. Males will beat on each other if not enough females are added.
As long as you hardscape smartly, I doubt you are going to have many problems.
My daughter bought me 2 male German Red Pecocks and one blue Zebra type Mbuna for Father's Day. That one is truely evil. The problem is I keep mostly CA Cichlids and Tetras. I guess I'll have my own 120 gallon African / New World, mixed tank.
Pictured is one of my new Peacocks, with his Texas Cichlid & Firemouth tankmates.
The second pic is the type of hardscape you might consider. It's of my 120 gal. A couple of years ago. All rocks came from my local rock yard, very inexpensive.

Attachments

• 20180615_225735.jpg
    20180615_225735.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 20170919_102741.jpg
    20170919_102741.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 188
Back
Top Bottom