120g Freshwater Setup/Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragon.goby

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, tore down my 120 salt. Couldn't keep up with the maintenance/price so I decided a freshwater setup would be more suitable for me. I vinegar cleaned absolutely everything twice and figured I'd use mostly everything. I have a 32g sump for filtration and thought I'd use my 220g coralife protein skimmer as well. I have a T5 overhead light but I figured I'd only use 2 bulbs because I don't plan on using live plants. So, I've started the cycle about a week ago with a couple frozen shrimp and wanted to start planning out things now about 3 weeks in advance so I can ship what I need and get everything situated. Any ideas on stocking for the tank? Figured I would want a center piece fish or two then a good amount of bottom feeders as they are my favorite. But heck I'm up for absolutely anything from an all mixed tank to a species tank. I just need ideas. Also, what is your guy's opinion on the protein skimmer? I don't care if it's not necessary but if it is gonna hurt the tank then I'll take it out. (Sorry for the long post, I try to be thorough) :)

Really can't help with the stocking but in regards to the protein skimmer, it won't help the tank but won't hurt it either. I don't think there is enough surface tension to create a beneficial froth for protein removal.
I do like the sump for heater and media placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There is a lot you could do with an 85G tank.

-Cichlids
-Community
-Specific biotope (amazon for example)
-Gold fish?

Do you have any fish that you have an itch for? That may be easier and I could help you work around that.

There is a lot you could do with an 85G tank.

-Cichlids
-Community
-Specific biotope (amazon for example)
-Gold fish?

Do you have any fish that you have an itch for? That may be easier and I could help you work around that.
Well I really like bottom feeders and oddball fish. I was looking at green terror cichlids but I'm not sure what I could have with them. Any ideas? (Btw its a 120g, not 85g).

Really can't help with the stocking but in regards to the protein skimmer, it won't help the tank but won't hurt it either. I don't think there is enough surface tension to create a beneficial froth for protein removal.
I do like the sump for heater and media placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay awesome, thanks! I suppose I'll take it out because it can be a pretty big eyesore.

Yeah I don't know why I said 85, my bad.

GTCs are a South American Cichlid that can get rather large 1 pair should be kept in at least a 65G tank. You are going to want to keep fish that can reach the same size and maintain the same temperament as them together. I would recommend:

- tiger oscar
- flowerhorn
- jaguar cichlid (kinda hard to get your hands on)
- jack dempsey

When it comes to scaping the tank you will want to do a typical cichlid scape.. rocks, sandy substrate and maybe a "snag" if you're into that kind of look.

Flowerhorns, while beautiful, can be quite aggressive, more so than Green Terrors, and could cause headaches. Same with the Jaguar except the Jaguar is probably more aggressive and larger.

I think a Tiger Oscar could be a good choice. It's just hit or miss on personality. Some have described Oscars as pretty aggressive, but I don't think so. At least, mine isn't. As long as he can't jam it in his mouth, should be fine.

Jack Dempseys could also work. Again, just a lottery on personality: chill or psycho. I have three with mine. Had to get rid of one a while back as it was part of a mated pair that was beating up the tank.

Blood Parrot? Firemouth? Severum? Blue Acara? Eartheaters?

If you're into oddballs how about teacup stingrays (true ones, not motoro) for the bottom, black ghost knives, elephant noses, and African butterflies for the top?

I don't know if it was just mine, but my BGK did not like my Elephant Nose. He would actively chase and nip him. I've never seen him aggressive with anyone else.

Like I said, I don't know if it was just mine or because they both use weak electric fields, but something to consider

If you're into oddballs how about teacup stingrays (true ones, not motoro) for the bottom, black ghost knives, elephant noses, and African butterflies for the top?

Huh sounds like my sort of tank! I know about BGK's and African butterflies but not the others. I'll look into them now!

Flowerhorns, while beautiful, can be quite aggressive, more so than Green Terrors, and could cause headaches. Same with the Jaguar except the Jaguar is probably more aggressive and larger.

I think a Tiger Oscar could be a good choice. It's just hit or miss on personality. Some have described Oscars as pretty aggressive, but I don't think so. At least, mine isn't. As long as he can't jam it in his mouth, should be fine.

Jack Dempseys could also work. Again, just a lottery on personality: chill or psycho. I have three with mine. Had to get rid of one a while back as it was part of a mated pair that was beating up the tank.

Blood Parrot? Firemouth? Severum? Blue Acara? Eartheaters?

Could I keep all the fish you said in the tank? (Blood Parrot, Firemouth, Severum, blue Acara, Eartheaters, Jack Dempseys, Tiger Oscar, and Green Terror). I'll assume just some of those because that sounds a little crowded.

You could do a big community tank and not worry about aggression! A big school of cory cats for your bottom feeders or clown loaches! I love my loaches and corys!!! But it is totally up to you! I have several types of tanks my aggressive african cichlid, semi-aggressive angelfish, and my more docile tanks with endlers and corys! Don't get me wrong I love my cichlid tank you could do a huge beautiful cichlid tank with lots of stones build up! It would look nice in such a big tank! But it's totally up to you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom