125 FOWLR take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hear that. My tank just doesn't get the love and attention I want it to with work. I'm sitting here pondering how with the low nitrates and phosphates my b/w clam didn't make it. I'm pretty much dead set on size at this time.
How is the extra TLC going?

aww the clam didnt make it?? sorry to hear that. the wife and i were just discussing the possibiliity of buying a clam earlier. the TLC is going great! fed everyone (inlcuding the nem) cleaned the skimmer, now going to do the glass and re-plumb my rodi unit.... i somehow managed to wire it wrong.

Atleast you can catch the problem and figure out what to do to fix it. Good to hear things are going well. What lighting do you have again? I know I love my clams. They are addicting.

The tank looks awesome! Its always weird to see the before and after shots, really makes me smile seeing so much progress. :)

thank you Carey! it really is! i actually stumbled across that old panoramic shot of the tank and had to go digging the old camera out to take the new photo. its inspiring and exciting to know that our tanks tranform this much but i cant stop thinking about what itll look like in another year.

nitrates are down to around 10!!! so excited! everything and everyone seems to be doing great! just found out that my family and i are heading to myrtle beach the end of may, so the rampant money spending on the tank needs to slow down a good bit. still wanting to get a few more corals before i call it quits on the spending.

thank you Red! whew its been awhile since ive updated this thread. tank is doing absolutely amazing! have added some coral frags here and there, mainly easier stuff, (about 6-7 different varieties of zoas, 2 silver dollar-sized frags of neon green palys, a frag of radioactive green palys, 2 heads of frogspawn, and 2 sps varieties) the zoas seem to be holding steady. still vodka dosing, my trates are down to around 5-10 though so its def heading in the right direction. i did however yank the filter sock assembly out, and wow my skimmer has taken off! i pull about 3/4 cup of insanely dark green skimmate per week. figure thats a combo of the excess debris in the water not being caught by socks and the vodka dosing. hopefully once i back off the vodka my skimmer will calm down a bit. ill have to upload some photos tonight if i can:)

fishie day!! well i should say fishie store day. considering the tank is fully stocked, barring a loss in the family, no more fish. but we did come home with a few things! finally broke down and bought the two little fishies magnetic algae clip ive wanted! also bought 20 assorted hermits and 2 emerald crabs. going to def buy more, but just wanted to try them out first.

their main bodies are roughly the size of a nickel. id say the size of a quarter overall. mainly just bought them to see if they would in fact survive in our tank. after about 10 minutes in the tank, one seemed to be dying but hes since been fine and moving around. the hermits have been ALL over the tank. would love to get more CUC. we came home tn from Aquaworld with a decent sized hammer tip coral and a big green bubble tip anemone. the maroon has swam past the anemone a few times, but im going to wait till the whites are on before assessing

went from led lighting to led lighting ( i know its not that simple) and flow had to be similar. the individual "hammers" were active and swaying in both the store tank and mine. its just that it died so fast and there wasnt anything left. im wondering if something ate it.

I had an issue like that with a torch coral where it just ejected from the skeleton. No clue why, though I think too much light for it as I watch the success of my current hammer.

Yeah I'll admit that the lighting prob played a part. I set the coral down on the sand bed and she wasn't looking good, moved her up halfway and that killed it off

Ahh the surprises a tank holds. I was looking down through the top middle section of my tank when I noticed something neon green down on the sandbed behind a rock. After moving a few rocks, I found a 3-branch frogspawn coral, I bought it prob 3-4 months ago and I thought it had died, so I didn't bother grabbing it when it fell. One head did completely die but the remaining 2 heads looks completely healthy. Best news? It's colors are reversed from the newer frogspawn we got! Uploading photos now

Back
Top Bottom