125 Gallon Hawaii Biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

str8edgejedi808

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, longtime lurker, first time poster. I'm looking to do a 125 gallon FOWLR Hawaiian biotope. My tank currently has a kole tang and a potter's angel. What else would you guys suggest to stock it with? I was looking at some kind of wrasse, either a saddle or flame pair, a butterfly, either a raccoon or tinkerii, and maybe a flame angel. I thought of adding the potter's and flame at the same time, but was advised against it.

So in short:

1: what other fish would you suggest for a Hawaii biotope?

2: would I be able to keep two dwarf Angels in a 125, provided I have a lot of hiding places?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1. When I think Hawaiian fish I think yellow tang. Lol. Tinkeri butterflies are not cheap or easy so good luck if you try one :).
2. Possibly I would of added them together though.

How would the kole tang and yellow tang act together? Only reason I didn't include a yellow on the list was I've been told not to put in two tangs with the same body shape.

I'm also thinking of adding a flame hawkfish as well.

They're different genus' and a slightly different shape and color. You may have some fighting but I'd think they'd be ok. It wouldn't be like a yellow an purple going together.
But it really comes down to the fish's personality.

A flame hawk would be a great addition.

My next question would be stocking.

My stock list would be this:

Kole Tang
Yellow Tang
Potter's Angel
Flame Hawk
Firefish (x2)
Bird/Saddle/Flame Wrasse
Hawaiian squirrelfish (x4) (these would be the first guys to go off the list)

Filtration is a 55 gallon sump with a reef octopus skimmer. Not sure on the model off the top of my head but it's rated for up to 210 gallons.

Would the fish above be okay to stock?

I think that sounds fine to me! Just watch the yellow and kole but I'm betting they're fine.

It's nice to meet someone doing a biotope with fish from my state. Squirrel fish are super cool. I've caught them before and if you get bit you will bleed speaking from experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should try a pencil eel ( dwarf golden eel), or maybe the humu trigger, after all the picasso trigger is Hawaii's state. But I do think the trigger might get too big though. Maybe a christmas wrasse?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom