125g Planted Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, me and meegosh have the same line of thinking. I've also heard that those bubbles may smell bad, but once the gas hits the oxygenated water, it's instantly not dangerous anymore. Mine's not all that deep anyways. Mine is just above the trim 3/4"

^ You should! I'm telling you man, plants are amazing. I tried a low light setup and never had any luck. I finally decided to put the money down and do it right. I'm loving it.

Jason, sorry... I forgot to respond to your post. I actually already read through that profile you did. That's the only reason I knew they weren't true SAE's. I appreciate the info. I did notice you don't have one on rainbows though... (hint hint).

On a side note. I took some H2O2 to the algae last night. That's kind of fun! It looks SOOOOOO much better this morning!

Ok so we need to talk lol. would like to get an est. on how much money we are talking about here as you have a 150 and i have a 120 needed components should be about the same.

I have a 125 that's planted... not 150 ;)

As far as what you're looking at.... it's not all that bad really. Lighting is going to be your big thing. if you go with a 4x54w T5HO, you're looking at $150 (from fishneedit). About another $150 for co2. Those are the two big things. The other stuff is just kind of here and there. Maybe figure in another $50 for various things? You can DIY a lot.

Well i already have the light 4x54. so really i am looking at another 200 to 250 bucks. hmmmm time to butter up the wife and see what she says :)

Thanks for that link, Viper. Learned a lot from it! +Rep

"Diana Walstad in her book Ecology of the Planted Aquarium actually talks about the beneficial aspects of having anaerobic conditions under the substrate near the plant roots. She has around several inches of soil as the substrates in her tanks. The anaerobic bacteria will use most anything for an energy source, reducing nitrates is just one of them. The bacteria can also reduce iron, sulfur, manganese, and so on. The great thing for plants is that these reduced forms are much more easily taken up, so anaerobic conditions help the plants get their micronutrients."-Bignose(2007) @fishforums.net

Ha, I said I would be reading about that, and there it is.

Wow... ganging up on me much? I seem to remember a certain person *cough*fort*cough* who took forever to upload pics while some of us were anxiously waiting. Mine's just a plant lol. Reason I didn't upload a pic tonight is because when I planted this massive thing with its ginormous 3" root ball, I stirred up some dirt and the tank got cloudy. I promise I'll post a pic of the tank tomorrow ;)

Here they are... Nothing special... Bad iPhone pics. Btw, the tank is nowhere near as dark as it looks in these..

img_1265674_0_0351648427a0e3c92a80e1f1778e3b87.jpg

img_1265674_1_263d831c5cc2850c4c2efd8dc8eaf39a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom