125g south american tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a school of those in my 75 ;) the yellow is a great contrast, and there's also a subtle bit of red on the dorsal fin that will help tie them all together, as well as the red eye

I agree, I try to keep my as close to biotope as possible. I would do 20 full grown penguins.

I vote for Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis, you have enough red in the tank with all the geos. I think this would be a better contrast in a large school, plus can't beat the red eyes!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...Ir1phoHujcesA4sT4PLMxJAA&ust=1368711128689458

I have a school of those in my 75 ;) the yellow is a great contrast, and there's also a subtle bit of red on the dorsal fin that will help tie them all together, as well as the red eye

I like where y'all's heads are at!!!! All solid choices.

Any suggestions on filtration?

You can do that, would probably be helpful to have two for cleaning, as you can alternate which one gets cleaned so that you're not cleaning out all your media at one time

Might wanna throw a HOB on it for surface movement unless you plan on adding a *gulp* air stone haha

What about 2x fuval 406's. I can get two for a steal from a buddy.

I had two 405's on a tank with a couple of Oscars and they couldn't keep up with the bioload. I'd use the FX/5 or a large wet/dry without a overflow box, I would drill the tank if your going that route.

I had two 405's on a tank with a couple of Oscars and they couldn't keep up with the bioload. I'd use the FX/5 or a large wet/dry without a overflow box, I would drill the tank if your going that route.

Especially with geos that will be turning massive amounts of junk from the sand as they sift through it, good point

Especially with geos that will be turning massive amounts of junk from the sand as they sift through it, good point

Here is my set up on the 150g.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/may2013-hukits-150-gallon-cichlids/

filter-1-1024x678.jpg

Last edited:
You can do that, would probably be helpful to have two for cleaning, as you can alternate which one gets cleaned so that you're not cleaning out all your media at one time

Might wanna throw a HOB on it for surface movement unless you plan on adding a *gulp* air stone haha

The hob is not option due to fact that the tank is gonna be right up against the wall now. Changed up my plans a little and decided to open a space up on the bottom length of the wall behjnd the tank for access.

I really didn't want to go through having to drill the tank for a wet/dry but that might be my only other option if you think the 406's won't be able to keep up. I think I'm gonna try the 406's by themselves and see what happens. Worst case I guess I can add a third one and just point the output tubes upward to break the surface.

Yeah, the main issue I had with my 405 (before the decided it hated me and started leaking) was that the outtake sits fairly low into the tank and I didn't get the surface movement i needed, so I had added on a magnum HOT canister (HOB canister) and that helped, except now I have an old second-hand AQ110 on it since my fluval went AWOL

Yeah, the main issue I had with my 405 (before the decided it hated me and started leaking) was that the outtake sits fairly low into the tank and I didn't get the surface movement i needed, so I had added on a magnum HOT canister (HOB canister) and that helped, except now I have an old second-hand AQ110 on it since my fluval went AWOL

All my other tanks have hob along with canisters and my water is usually crystal but the build plan wont allow it now.

Makes sense, my HOB are in the front as we forgot to leave room against the wall and moving 750ish lbs isnt really an option haha

what are ya thinking decor wise? show tank?

Yes this will be a show tank. Left side will have rock and slate driftwood throughout. Silk plants with dark sand substrate. No background cause the wall behind the tank is a tan/brown color.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up! I get my driftwood straight out of lake manchac. Hit it with the pressure washer and then boil it in the crawfish pot. Only cost me gas money for the boat and pressure washer. Lol!

Well then it's time to start hooking up your friends!

Back
Top Bottom