125g tank for 150 dollars.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dark_S2000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yep, its true.

My LFS is selling a 125 gallon tank for 150 dollars because there is a small leak and they were not able to find it. I was wondering, how much would it be to redo the silicone (should I just scrape off the old silicone, put new silicone over the one thats already there) also about how much money would it cost for accessories (Heater, lamp, pump etc...) It also comes with a stand. And would you guys buy it?

maybe for the stand, and sell the tank to someone w/ a reptile. It sounds fishy to me..... a LFS cant find the leak? Come on.....

Craig's List will have plenty of other good buys out there.
Example-

I recently bought a 125 gallon oceanic w/ stand, lights, totally reef ready (canister filter, wet/dry w/ bio balls, coral decorations (not live), skimmer, and all testing equip/food/etc) for $250. He was asking $400. He used to be a San Diego Charger (for 2 yrs). That is one of those "once in a lifetime" deals, but I find them constantly. In fact, I buy tanks, clean them, and sell them on eBay (or keep them), but I end up making money, and getting tanks also.

Bottom line- I would keep looking. Those deals are dime a dozen if ya know where to look- www.Craigslist.org
and LOW BALL them. Some stick... some dont. :)
HTH,
Andy

Ok.. so you are basically paying for the stand and a very little for the tank.. You can't just silicone over the old stuff. it doesn't stick very well to itself like it does to glass. You will have to completely cut it out and start over. Now I believe you can leave the silicone that is between the panes of glass but cut out all of the corner stuff then reapply. Let it cure for recommended time and fill it up and see if you get leaks. I'm not so sure I would do it myself because I tried to patch a 55 gallon and it stayed for three months then leaked on me but i'm sure there are people that had success.
As far as accessories go. I would get a canister filter (around $100 for a decent one, I have the XP3 and love it) If you go with the canister get the inline heater $40 but well worth it. temps never fluctuate and it is out of your display tank. Lamps depend on if you are going with a planted tank or not. But you can get a ballast from your hardware store for prob 20 or 30 dollars and then the lightbulbs. Then you would prob want glass canopy which is 30 to 40 dollars (mine was 30 for my 75 gallon, so a little more for the 125 gallon). and then all you need is your substrate and decor. I'd recommend PFS (cuz I just switched from gravel and I LOVE it).. Hmm.. that is all I can think of.
HTH..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom