125g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidtcb1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Wanted to get some feedback from you guys:

I have the opportunity to purchase a 125g Perfecto tank with pine stand, glass tops, light strip and 20-30 lbs of rock for $400. Haven't seen it in person yet, but this is a brand new tank (cardboard still around tank, etc.) that was purchased about three years ago that never got setup. Has been sitting unused in a couple's house since then. They are trying to get rid of it to make space. This sounds like a great deal to me. What do you think?

I have a 75g and 29g freshwater community tank right now and would love to make this one a cichlid tank and hopefully put an Eheim filter on it so I can learn more about those.

Any comments/concerns welcome!

Sounds to good to be true!! If you go to see it and it is in brand new shape I say grab while it you can!! It cost me about $400 for my 75 gallon.

Go for it! Set it up outside filled with water first to make sure that the seals have not dried out.

Considering I spent around 500 for a 72 gallon bowfront with stand that 125 is a smoking deal if like you said everything is new and just had been sitting around.

I think so too, sounds like a great deal to me. Can you give any advice on what model of Eheim would be good? From the research I have done, it looks as though a 2260 would do the trick...would you think I'd need any more filtration than this?

Would probably do a 300w heater in each corner.

Sorry davidtcb1 I can't help on the canister filter. Still researching those things for my own aquarium. I do know the fluval I had awhile back was pretty good, but I made the switch to wetdrys for the rest of my aquariums that just had fish. I do know that Ehiem and Fluval have a big daddy version of there canister filters that might be worth checking into.

The tank sounds like a great deal! I have a 125 gal cichlid tank and I run 2 cannisters on it, a fluval FX5 and a 404. For a cichlid tank you should have 10-15x turnover IMO.

Thanks. The Eheim 2028 cycles 198 gallons per hour, so you think two of those would be necessary?

Since you are a cichlid person, and I am just getting into them, I'll ask you another couple questions. I'm interested in Malawis but would like to have a Frontosa...any chance of them getting along well enough to keep? Any combos of cichlids I should NEVER put together? I like the peacocks and Mbunas. Do you have a lot of plants in your 125 or mainly rock formations?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom