144g Stocking Suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deadmanwalking

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, over the summer I am going to be getting an 144g freshwater tank and so I wanted to see if anyone here had any good suggestions for it! So far, I know that a BGKF and a Bala Shark will definitely be going in there (because I have them already), but besides from that there is a lot of paths I could take so I want to make sure I take the right one!

Here is a list of fish that I like:

- Convict Cichlids
- Firemouth Cichlids
- Texas Cichlids
- Oscars
- EB Jack Dempseys
- Silver Dollars
- Clown Loaches
- Plecos
- And really any other cichlid too-
- More Bala Sharks
- I also have a zig zag eel in a 10 gal just now (because there's nowhere else I have to put him since he's quite aggressive lol) so if he could go in here then it would be good.

So, if anyone has any ideas on what I should put in beside the BGKF and the Bala Shark, then please let me know! Also, even if you don't have any ideas from the list above, please still let me know what you would put in with the BGKF and the Bala Shark in that size of tank.

Thanks and I look forward to reading everyone's ideas! :D

Whats the dimension. 4',5' or 6'. Im setting up a 150gallon with
1 festae
1 salvini
1 jack dempsey
4 convicts
4 jewels

I wouldnt recommend the ebjd because just like HUKIT said they are fragile as glass.

Dimensions are 59" x 18.8" x 30". And wow, that tank sounds cool - please let me know how you get on with it! And Ohh, okay, would a regular JD be better then or are they a bit too aggressive do you think? That's a shame as well, I really wanted an EBJD lol.

As for that list though, that sounds like a pretty good list! See for the convicts though, could I just choose any of them or would I be better sticking to the same ones do you think? 'Cause since they are good parents (as well as the Firemouths) i'd like to try and get some babies too.

Thanks so much for the reply - it was really helpful!

If you want 4 convicts you can get 2 pink and 2 regular. You could mix them up anyway you want. Ya you might be able to get away with a reg jack im putting one of them in too since i already have it. My jack is a sissy. But ya you could try it. The ebjd are pretty cool but very fragile lol

Oh that's good, because I think that having quite a few (esp. in different colours) would look great! And Hmm, i'll have a look then to see how they generally get on with BGKF's and Bala Sharks.

Also, I read that Clown Loaches could easily get eaten by Oscars. Is that true?

Ah, I see. I don't know how a Clown Loach would look on its own though, so I may just get a few more bala sharks instead.

What about this then:

1 oscar
2 texas
2-4 convicts
2 firemouth
1 bgkf
4 bala shark
1 JD or EBJD (depending on whether I think i'd be able to keep the EBJD properly)

Yay, that's great, thanks for the help! As for the Texas Cichlid, is the reason I should cut one off because they would be so aggressive together, yeah? Because if it is and lack of room isn't an issue, do you think a Jaguar Cichlid could go in there perhaps?

Also, out of curiosity, do you (or anyone else know) how a yellow bellied slider would be in that tank? I know it's generally advised that turtles and fish can't go together, but I guess if the tank's big enough and the fish are big enough, then things could work out?

Oscars are not very aggressive they are territorial so the texas may group up and bully the o and every other fish. No IMO i would not get a jag but if it a female you may be able to. Dont get a turtle the oscar might try to eat it. Plus they poop alot.

Yeah, I see what you mean by that. And Hmm, yeah, i'll need to see about a female then. I've got a funny feeling it's going to be a nightmare to find one in Scotland though LOL.

And Okay, thanks for the advice again! :)

I think i'll keep this open so I can tell everyone how I get on once I get this new tank. :)

Yeah, I see what you mean by that. And Hmm, yeah, i'll need to see about a female then. I've got a funny feeling it's going to be a nightmare to find one in Scotland though LOL.

And Okay, thanks for the advice again! :)

I think i'll keep this open so I can tell everyone how I get on once I get this new tank. :)

That would be awesome to keep it open haha. Good luck with the tank!

No Problem!

Also, do you (or anyone else) know if a Frontosa Cichlid may work better than a Jaguar Cichlid?

Well. They are prob a little less aggressive and african but i have no personal experience with them. Jags have more of a torpedo shaped body and are aggressive which equals fast and mean lol. Frontosa i think are kinda like oscars they get tall wide and kinda long. Not as aggressive. Its all up to you

Oh great, that's good to hear that it's flexible then! Are there any other cichlids that you suggest I consider?

Also, do you think this is going to stress out the BGKF and the Bala Sharks like nuts if they are in a tank full of cichlids? It'll be better for the bala sharks since they have each other but for the BGKF, he's on his own.

Back
Top Bottom