150 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coloray13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Am looking to set up a reef in a 150 "extra deep" (48w x 24d x 30h). I have a "wish list" and was wondering you opinion of the fish. Corals I will add will mostly be beginner corals such as LPS, zenia, polyps etc as well as sea fans.

Fish list wish list:
Melanarus Wrasse (male)
Yellow four spotted wrasse
Pair of six line wrasses
Maybe a mystery wrasse (if I can find a female)
Raccoon or Auriga butterfly
Pair of blue spotted jawfish
Two pair of mandarin fish (green spotted and blue)
Pair of clarkii's
Pair of orange lined cardinals
Flame angel
Coral beauty angel
Blue spotted dwarf puffer (maybe but probably not)
Magnificent foxface
Yellow stripe clingfish
Long nose hawkfish
Falco hawkfish
Naso tang
Convict tang
Fire clown (with separate anni divided by live rock)
Appox 110" of fish if all is included and possible
Maybe a blenny for algae control

Inverts I want include:
fire shrimp
Purple long tent anni
Sand sifter star
Some kind of other starfish
Some other anni for the fire clown

Let me know what is possible please!!

Hi there. :)

The inches arent really important it just depends on the fish you choose. For instance, I wouldnt put more than one angel in a tank, they like to fight with each other. Also, I just stocked my 4th wrasse and it seems that you shouldnt have too many males cause they pick on each other. I had some fighting with mine. Also not sure you can go with two hawkfish, I'd research a bit to make sure two can be together if they arent a mated pair.

As far as the tangs, I'm really on the line with them in a four foot tank. I know you have the gallons to back it up but they tend to need the zoom room and if I'm not mistaken the naso gets HUGE. lol

And last but not least the mandarins. I believe one mated pair is the limit as the males will fight with each other. I would also make that one of the very last additions to the tank as they are difficult to feed. Not too sure if you could wean them off pods in such a large tank. I got my scooter and mandarin on frozen foods but I am able to shut down the flow and totally target feed them. So thats a consideration.

:)

Good luck and we expect progress reports!! LOL

Cool thanks. Yea I just thought Tangs were good reef and community fish but no big deal to leave them out. As far as the wrasses, I heard multiples are ok as long as there is only one male...I assume similar to the mandarins. I also heard the green spotted mandarins don't get along with the other blue ones.

Have you heard anything on the hawkfish compatibility? Good for you on your mandarin too! I think they are awesome!

Oh tangs are great fish. maybe a different one for your tank though. Just research some more on them, I'm sure you'll find one that you like. :)

I only have the one mandarin so I can't vouch for them and the green spotted ones. But everything I have read says one mated pair per tank so I assume they don't get along with any other mandarins. My mandy is great with all the other fish I have with her including the scooter dragonet.

Back
Top Bottom