150g tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nice start;)

looks awesome

a series of giant anubias on that branch part sticking out of that DW would look sick:D

Oh I know. I'm so excited. The upper part stick out was originally taller and I cut off a good 24in because I was going to scape it in my 50g before I decided to get another tank.
It even had a hole that I could have stuck a plant in and it would have been real nice, it forked at the top. But there are so many nooks and crannies on it that when I get plants it will look very nice.

I'm working on finding refurbished co2 tanks here in Tampa so I can figure out my co2 setup.

img_1645035_0_96b4a997e2028963d5f6402da70b562a.jpg

img_1645035_1_fcd6ac666458c5e99acbc77bc1bdf060.jpg

These are from after I broke the top piece off and soaked it for 2 months.

So I went to a different PetSmart and bought 5 more bags of Flora Max - 2 original and 3 midnight...only had 6 bags on the shelf.
Rinsed it decent and put it in the tank. Was cloudy for maybe 30 minutes, and now it's back to normal (helps when you have a sump and Fluval 405).

Now to my dilemma...
I have 2 dual bulb light fixtures (which I believe are older Coralife? no name on them)
2- 10k
2-t8 (30w)
The ballasts don't go over 40w bulbs

I am scaping with mostly Flora Max (which will help the plants) and I can get t5's to replace the t8's.

My friend (Andy91 on here) and I went to MarineWarehouse and asked one of the guys what he thought about my light setup. He said I could buy 2 3ft HO's or go the Marineland LED Reef lighting route (long run save $$).

I'm not too keen on 2 3ft HO's due to bulb replacement costs. I've read the LED's don't scatter light as much.

Pro's for HO's
- ?
Con's
- Cost long run
- Energy consumption

Pro's for LED's
- Save long run
- "Claim" to be output as much as 3 t5's
- Shimmer effect
- Moonlight LED's
Con's
- Initial price
- People say light penetrates straight down and does not scatter much beyond that

What I was thinking was:
Keep my 2 dual bulb fixtures...upgrade t8's to t5's
Buy 1 36in or 48in Marineland Reed Capable LED

I'd put the 2 more toward the back and put the LED in front of them

Let me know what you guys think :brows:

I feel like LEDs would be the way to go, due to price in the long run. But HOs might be more efficient with getting the lighting all around the the tank for the plants. Still is a mystery to us... :whistle:

Andy I agree. It's so hard to decide though. I feel like I will buy maybe one of each plant I want that require medium light and plant them and see how that goes and determine where to go next.
Don't plan on going any high light plants.

I was searching on the DIY forums and saw some pretty nice DIY LED fixtures that looked great so that is also an option. I talk to my friend and see what he thinks :brows:

This is the tank so far.

Going to figure out where the other PetSmart is in town and go raid them for more Flora Max to finish the corner of the tank. Should only need 2 more bags.

img_1648905_0_88bd9bdb57f8a28940327142af2f3eb9.jpg

left side

img_1648905_1_1e02dc3979706024b84ec996b5bb819c.jpg

right side

img_1648905_2_12a7043a848c65ff6d657771ead875bd.jpg

32lb slab on the right side

I wish I could get better pictures...my camera phone sucks (my good one broke so it's a old one)

I ended up tying the driftwood down in the middle to a rock with black thread and the slab holds down the rest.
Haven't decided what I'm doing with the smaller piece of driftwood on the right side...not sure if I want to leave the rocks on top of it or try to find a way to tie it down.

And Friday, my Fluval U3 comes. I got it to keep the sump clean. With the U3 added if I ever have water problems I'll be astonished. I'll be running a sump, Fluval 405 and U3, on top of plants helping. Fingers crossed for constant perfect water! (y)

Andy I agree. It's so hard to decide though. I feel like I will buy maybe one of each plant I want that require medium light and plant them and see how that goes and determine where to go next.
Don't plan on going any high light plants.

I was searching on the DIY forums and saw some pretty nice DIY LED fixtures that looked great so that is also an option. I talk to my friend and see what he thinks :brows:

Im sure your friend wouldnt mind helping you make a DIY LED fixture, im pretty sure he's looking for the same thing for his tank. *cough* yep *cough* :brows:

Im sure your friend wouldnt mind helping you make a DIY LED fixture, im pretty sure he's looking for the same thing for his tank. *cough* yep *cough* :brows:

I'm sure. I talked to him a little bit ago and he thinks it's a great idea. Just have do some research now!

Hey guys, been busy working on the tank.
Bought 6 Vals and 3 Cabomba yestrday, and then ran all my air tubing for bubbles.

The tank is starting to look real nice, I'll get an updated picture up soon.

Have a question though about co2 systems, anyone think they can help?

right side - 12 Vals, 6 Cabomba, 1 Lutea
img_1669463_0_715e280e38ea7edf37a880eea5abe5ef.jpg

img_1669463_1_097384bb25c4a499cc04bb88a5321813.jpg

left side

looking into getting a 2 or 3 Amazon Swords for the back as well

buying 2 Deepblue Solarmax 36'' t5 HO w/ LED moonlights in the next week hopefully, and then getting more plants

Back
Top Bottom