16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes only so much calcium can be held in the water. Usually a lil more then1/3 of the magnesium level

Mrc8858 said:
Yes only so much calcium can be held in the water. Usually a lil more then1/3 of the magnesium level

Okay cuz I did a 40% WC yesterday and my calcium went from 460mg/L to 560mg/L... and I also switched from instant ocean salt to reef crystals

That can effect the balance between your magnesium, calcium and carbonate hardness. Whenever one gets very high it can drive down the others. Just something to keep an eye on.

CorallineAlgae said:
That can effect the balance between your magnesium, calcium and carbonate hardness. Whenever one gets very high it can drive down the others. Just something to keep an eye on.

Okay so I'm assuming 560 is bad???

DanS180 said:
Okay so I'm assuming 560 is bad???

It's higher that you want it but it should turn out just fine. You'll want to let it slide down a bit and keep an eye on the rest of your levels. As long as you don't dose more until it goes down it won't do a bit of harm.

CorallineAlgae said:
It's higher that you want it but it should turn out just fine. You'll want to let it slide down a bit and keep an eye on the rest of your levels. As long as you don't dose more until it goes down it won't do a bit of harm.

Well that's the thing.. im not dosing.. how can I prevent this from happening when all I did was do a water change.. should I wait til my calcium is below 400??

What brand salt mix are you using because I use Kent marine salt because it mixes at 550 ppm calcium

No you don't want calcium to be below 400. Reef salt mixes are high in calcium because they're intended to go into tanks that are filled with calcium hungry corals. If you don't have issues with calcium depletion and your salt mix keeps it high then it should be okay. As long as it's stable everything will go well. Some people think that they have to dose calcium or 2-part when they often don't need to and then they get into trouble.

As long as you know your levels, and you certainly do, you can adjust only what you need to.. if you even need to. Some systems need lots of alkalinity additions and little to no calcium while other systems need the opposite. I have a link on my PC to an article about it if you'd like to read.

CorallineAlgae said:
No you don't want calcium to be below 400. Reef salt mixes are high in calcium because they're intended to go into tanks that are filled with calcium hungry corals. If you don't have issues with calcium depletion and your salt mix keeps it high then it should be okay. As long as it's stable everything will go well. Some people think that they have to dose calcium or 2-part when they often don't need to and then they get into trouble.

As long as you know your levels, and you certainly do, you can adjust only what you need to.. if you even need to. Some systems need lots of alkalinity additions and little to no calcium while other systems need the opposite. I have a link on my PC to an article about it if you'd like to read.

+1 well said. Mine is a alkalinity fiend needing .5-1 full meq/l a day with very little calcium being that I use Kent as I said before

You said u did a 40% water change ? That's a lot and could be the reason. You really shouldn't do that much at once. Half that would be best. Even when u gave high levels of bad stuff you don't wanna do that much at once. Just a suggestion for next time.

Mrc8858 said:
What brand salt mix are you using because I use Kent marine salt because it mixes at 550 ppm calcium

I'm using Reef Crystals now, was using Instant Ocean before

CorallineAlgae said:

Well I guess I'll just monitor the situation from time to time.. and if all my other levels are fine than maybe I'll just dose calcium

22engine said:
You said u did a 40% water change ? That's a lot and could be the reason. You really shouldn't do that much at once. Half that would be best. Even when u gave high levels of bad stuff you don't wanna do that much at once. Just a suggestion for next time.

Yeah I thought of that after I was done.. 40% is too much at one time.. prob stick to 10-15% from now on, I just figured since its been almost a month that it'd be wise to change a decent amount

DanS180 said:
Well I guess I'll just monitor the situation from time to time.. and if all my other levels are fine than maybe I'll just dose calcium

Do you have tests for magnesium and alkalinity? You don't seem to need calcium at the moment.

CorallineAlgae said:
Do you have tests for magnesium and alkalinity? You don't seem to need calcium at the moment.

I have the API reef master kit.. only thing I can't test for is Magnesium, doesn't come in the kit but my alkalinity is back up to 11°

Yes to properly maintain alkalinity and calcium you must know your magnesium as all three directly influence how much of the others the water can hold with out precipitation and also the rate in which they can be consumed

Mrc8858 said:
Yes to properly maintain alkalinity and calcium you must know your magnesium as all three directly influence how much of the others the water can hold with out precipitation and also the rate in which they can be consumed

Okie dokie.. I'll get one then.. any specific brand?

Back
Top Bottom