180 Gallon Build Journal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry my error I think you meant 180litres

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice tanks! Liking the dw coming from the top down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you say its 180 gallon. What's your measurements in feet and inches. My tank is 4ftx2ftx2ft looks bigger than your tank by that photo and is only 119gallons 465 litres

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes it's 180 gallons. Or 6'x2'x2' or 72"x24"x24"

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice tanks! Liking the dw coming from the top down.

Thank you, I liked it aswell. Unfortunately it was soft wood and has since been removed after it started to rot. Block a lot of light too, but made for some neat shadowing.

Abrams those tanks are gorgeous! I vote native biotope, I would love to see that. It's on my list of wish tanks :)

Abrams those tanks are gorgeous! I vote native biotope, I would love to see that. It's on my list of wish tanks :)

Thank you very much. I really want to do the native tank aswell. The only think that's keeping me from doing it is that I've never had good luck with plants in my native tanks. It always turns into an algae breeding ground and dead plants. Where I've had great success in my tropical tanks. It's a very hard decision.

I've also picked up some plywood and have it mostly all skinned. Just need to shop for some cabinet doors before I cut the holes in the front. Then I'll be on to sanding...ugh.

Got it mostly all sanded today. This picture is before it was sanded. Decided to use a couple doors I have kicking around the house. Haven't decided on colour yet. Most likely will be black, and I might do the trim in white to tie it into the baseboard in the basement. Decisions, decisions.

Attachments

• 1421540028386.jpg
    1421540028386.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 161
Started staining today. Just need to finish that, put some quarter round around the bottom put some doors in it. Then it should be complete

I have my stand finished, just put my final coat of oil on it.
I'm going to let it cure for a couple of days, then I'll rally some troops to help me get it in the basement.
Hopefully I'll have the tank on it by the weekend and with any luck it will be level.

Attachments

• 1422376968146.jpg
    1422376968146.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 55
Nice distressed look!! That's going to look awesome with a big fat tank sitting atop

Thanks guys. It took some work to get it looking that way, but it turned out nice in person.
I'm not a big fan of the doors I used, but I didn't feel like building my own or spending the money on new ones.

Don't worry about it. No one is going to be staring at your awesome tank in awe and then be like sssstt oooh but those doors...
They look fine!

That was pretty much my thought on it aswell. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Approx. $50 for lumber.
Another $50 on plywood. Trim was maybe $25 Already had the power tools and screws. Then I bought 3 different grits of sandpaper which was maybe $10-$15. Stain and Tung oil maybe $20 bucks. I used cabinet doors I already had lying around. I have less then $200 Canadian in to it Id say. You could do it for less probably. Especially for a smaller tank.

Approx. $50 for lumber.
Another $50 on plywood. Trim was maybe $25 Already had the power tools and screws. Then I bought 3 different grits of sandpaper which was maybe $10-$15. Stain and Tung oil maybe $20 bucks. I used cabinet doors I already had lying around. I have less then $200 Canadian in to it Id say. You could do it for less probably. Especially for a smaller tank.

I have a 55 gal. I keep going back and forth between a petco stand or making one. I think the Petco stand will be cheaper, but If i make a stand I can add whatever I want and stain it a proper color.

Thanks for the help! Tank lookin good!

If you have basic carpentry knowledge and a compound saw then it's an easy way to save a lot of money. Plus you can build it to suit your style and needs.

If you have basic carpentry knowledge and a compound saw then it's an easy way to save a lot of money. Plus you can build it to suit your style and needs.

I have carpentry knowledge, but no saw. Maybe I can find one to borrow.

We shall see. Thanks again boss!

Back
Top Bottom