180g In Wall Construction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim: Thanks. It great that we can share our fun with everyone in the same hobby.

Can't wait to continue to work on the tank setup again, but we are expecting our 2nd child anytime now, and thus have to delay setting up the tank, but cleaning up my house ready for the baby.

On the side note, I just joined the membership of the shedd aquarium for $76, sounds like a good deal to me.
I attached another pic here that showed a bigger picture of the entire living room.

The good thing in taking your time to setup the fish room is that you learnt patience and patience is all we need for this hobby. I had a 46g tank for over a year. With this tank, I was determined not to add any corals to it and see what I can get from my LR. As the months evolved, fan worms, mushrooms and some stony stuffs started to grow on my LR. It is really exciting just to watch the LR. I loved my Yellow Tang as well. Also, I am surprised how much debris the LR will "split" out

Just an update. Purchased my MR2 skimmer and Blueline HD70 pump last week. I am planning of doing my pumping over the holiday season.

I am still debating whether to have a check valve on the return path? Anyone, any advice? The check valve are expensive, so not sure I want to spend that money or not.

Also debating whether to use Bulkhead threaded inside for easy removal if the bulkhead crack or the slip in type for better leak proof at the overflow?? Any opinion on this?

As far as the bulkheads go, I suggest the slip. When I set my tank up I went through more than what I was suppose to because they kept cracking. I think it was from overtighting them. It didnt take much for that to happen.

HTH

GrndHog: A friend of mine had the similar thing happened to him. Good thing for him is that he had the threaded bulkhead and thus it just took him 5mins to replace the whole thing. If the slip one is use, then it probably have to replace the whole line up up till the union. But from some readings, it seem like the threaded connection is prone to leaking.

mle421: Thanks. can't wait to fill it up with water.

Setup my RO/DI system but have to go back to drawing board to design my auto-topoff system. Also, had my starboard cut out for the overflow. Tried it last night and found that it doesn't fit the overflow. Have to cut another 1/4" :(

looks really nice boxster

i think its awesome that you are going with the starboard, i really like the clean look it provides, and no messy hair algae! what are you plans for livestock in the tank?

keep up the good work and keep us updated

I would just like to say the tank looks great! I feel very badly for the situation that you had with your contractors. I am a contractor and it really bothers me when people rip people off. My profession(yah it's supposed to be a profession) has continually been damaged by the few people that thinks it's a quick money scheme and not only are they stealing from you they are essentially turning your life upsidedown. To have a job uncompleted for months at a time is unacceptable in my opinion. I take great pride in providing quality craftsmanship and honesty. Just my 2

I am jealous i want a build in fish tank myself. But here in San Diego we don't have big houses (at least not ones i can afford :cry: ) and we don't have basements.

I diden't read all the messages but I would sugjest that if you guys do remodeling and adding a build in tank, run 220V electrical to the location and save money on electricity with the lighting and eventualy with the return pump.

And only select contractors you get referals for, otherwise you are screwed :cry:

Edmonton : Thanks for feeling along with me. What made me really mad is that this contractor is referral by the Chicago Council of carpentry. I would think that a reputable council like this would use good contractor and union. Turn out that this contractor does not even have a permanent residency!! :x It is as good as me going down the street and randomly hire someone!! I blamed myself for trusting the Chicago council of carpentry and never double check. We file a complaint in BBB against the council and the contractors. Obviously, I don't see any way in recovering my losses :( I am glad that everything is behind me, now I can't wait to get this bad boy up and running with water :D My wife is nagging me to put fishes in NOW.

swissfish: Run 220V electrical?? Are you saying down convert it back to 110V after that. I heard this waste electricity because of the efficiency loss in the transformer.

nodoubt471: I like the starboard setup as well. My existing tank running sandbed is a hassle to maintain (just my opinion) and does not look as clean as starboard. I am using the black starboard. Have not decided my livestock yet. Most likely going with SPS. Will also move my existing livestock in my 46g tank to this setup as well.

Rocket: Starboard is the marine board that they use in boats. Something like cutting board. I will be using it for my "sandbed". So instead of sandbed, it will just be 2 slate of starboards join together on my tank bottom. The nice thing about marine board is that it is UV resistant, so will not turn yellow over time. But anyway, it will eventually covered with Corraline.

There are lights that run on 220V and there are pumps that run on 220V and they use less kwh, wich will have a positive efect on your electricity bill. :lol:

I don't want to confuse you guys.
Most of the houses in the US have a 220V feed to the main panel.
If you use one leg of 220V and the Neutral wire you'll get 110V.
If you use two legs you have 220V without using a transformer.

And yes you are right, if you would use a transformer the efficency would not be great.

oooo black starboard, this is exciting i have yet to actually see a setup with black starboard, all i have seen is white... im eagerly awaiting pics!! and your SPS (if you decide to go with them) will be oh so happy :)

keep it coming! i am living vicariously through you...

Back
Top Bottom