1st cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Filter came in today. Plan on setting up today or tomorrow.

As for the cycle, 24 hours and nitrites are 2. I expect they will be 0 in the morning.

Temp 82
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 160

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120710_213924.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120710_213924.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 31
As i expected, after 36 hrs nitrites are at 0. Everything else is stable. I will dose to 2.5 and hope by this time tomorrow im at 0 again.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120711_084843.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120711_084843.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 29
Almost 24 hours and nitrites still at 2.

Temp 82
Ammonia 0
Ph maybe 7.9
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 160 - just under

Ill give it till after work and see where i am. Should be 0 by then.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120712_073419.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120712_073419.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 38
Finally home from work and as i expected.....
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate - ran out of bottle 1.....will follow up tomorrow. So 2.5 or 3?

Thats what i was hoping for! All about progress

About 20 hours later, nitrite between 0.25 - 0.50. I expect it to be 0 in the next hour or two. Does that mean 3.5?

Sounds good. I checked all the readings before dosing.
All stable, Ph 7.8 - 8.0. I thought it could be 7.4 so checked the low Ph and that was definitely over 7.6. I'll check throughout the day tomorrow to make sure there is no crash.

Ph is crashing:
Its between 7.0 & 7.2.

Ammonia is 0 and nitrites are 2 after 16 hours

I was afraid this would happen. No reason to stress! Wc when you have a chance & redose. Your just about done! :)

I figured that was the response. How big of a wc?

As big as possible to restore your buffers & get you through a few days of 4ppm without crash. Fish are around the corner! :)

What kind if fish are you thinking of getting? If you measure your KG and GH they are probably low, I.e buffering capability. If you want to have a pH of about 8 then you will need to put in some crushed coral or Aragonite for your substrate.

I was set on a black ghost knife but it seems nothing goes with them. Maybe some cichlids like firemouth or electric blue jack dempsey, or oddballs like freshwater eel and African butterfly, definitely a pleco.

Gh (general hardness) & kh (carbonate hardness).
I would not be concerned with these unless you had an issue with ph or plan on keeping some exotic/sensitive species. Crashes at the end of cycle are fairly common- your bb require lots of carbonates (kh- also called buffers) to process the large dose of ammonia. As they use up the buffers the result is your ph becomes unstable. If this becomes a daily issue, we can address it. Hope this helps!

Ph has been stable for the most part. I have an infestation of snails though! I just spent 30 minutes trying to snatch all of the eggs....anyway, back to the cycle. All are consistent after 27 hours.

Temp 82
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 1
Nitrate 80

I expect the nitrite to reach 0 in the next couple of hours, no later than the morning. I will dose to 4 once it clears.

You can read about some easy ways of catching snails...If I am not mistaken, you can put a piece of lettuce overnight in the aquarium and it draws all of the snails to it. Then just remove it.

Back
Top Bottom