1st cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I think i have most of them but there are many eggs so the lettuce trick won't work. I bought some assassins so hopefully they will clear everything up.

As for the cycle, after roughly 29 hours, nitrites are now 0 so I will dose tonight with the expectation of 0s Tues morning when i wake up (hopefully im wrong and its tomorrow night instead :) )

I think I'm almost there. After 24.5 hours:

Temp 82
Ph 7.8 need to watch this in the morning in case of crash
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 30-40

I will dose to 4 ppm tonight if i get the 0 before i go to bed or in the morning. The new question, how many times should i dose before i can say success?

Your just about done! We want to see your tank zero out 4ppm of amm in 24hrs for a few days in a row steadily. You should be able to get fish this weekend! :)

Thats what i was thinking. I am leaning towards a young cichlid tank, can i add the majority at once or should i stagger?

I would add at once. That way they set up territories all at once. You may encounter some aggression towards new fish if adding fish later.

Success!!! After 23 hours:

Temp 82
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40

Dosing to 4 again.

After two months, i think I'm there! After 21 hours, nitrite are 0. My plan, lower temp to 78 overnight, dose tonight, add fish Fri? Perform a WC prior to fish if nitrates are over 50.

Temp 82
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40

That should be fine but you want to do atleast one 100% wc before adding fish. Your nitrates should be as low as the level in your tap reads (whatever this number is). You also want to restore your buffers & other vital minerals & electrolytes before adding fish. Just think, unless you have to move this tank at some point in the future (or some other reason), you likely will not have to do a 100%wc again so consider it a small sacrifice. Congrats!!!! :)

Good plan and congratulations. How is your other filter working out? Do you have pics of your tank?

Should i do a WC and then add or a WC, dose, and add the next day?
I appreciate all of the help.
Filter is running well. I've tried to take some pics but the site keeps crashing on me. I'll post some tomorrow or Fri.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120718_214439.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120718_214439.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 48
  • ForumRunner_20120718_214526.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120718_214526.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 50
Wc then fish. Skip the ammonia. Your fine to do the wc the night before- your bb will be fine for one night with no ammonia. :)

What did you fill the 2 empty baskets with in your 400? Your tank is looking nice.

Thanks. I tried to pit a couple of the bio balls in but failed, user error. Not sure if there is a need to or not. Is there something beneficial i should think about?

Emperor 400. I tried to put the filter into the shells but eventually figured it out.

Lol! I have 2 of these. I stuffed the grey cartridges with polyfill (filter floss). One I slit the blue cartridges & dumped out carbon & stuffed with poly. The other, I cut off the blue part & just use the black plastic part with filter foam (sponge) in front of it. Just some ideas! :)

Thanks, I just put some fish in and will share some photos.

I would've been lost without jlk and roto, among some others. Thanks!

Good luck on your cycle.

Back
Top Bottom