1st SW build part 2 - Nano Column Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds cool! Any photos of the new fish? Clowns are awesome little dudes. That red dragonet is a neat little fish. If you can keep him alive and happy, then you are doing great.

I have a couple pics but haven't quite got them set yet. In a few.

In the mean time, would this be a good light

OC Reef Par 38 Led Bulb White and Blue Leds as well as a UV. Lit a small reef tank for about a year with great results. Comes with a bulb socket from home depot as well as a dimmer. Lots of life left!! $50 obo
They have this too
2 Koralia Nano 240 Circulation Pumps Great for small aquariums that could use some more flow. $20 obo for BOTH.

Thinking of offering 50 for both. Maybe pay 60.???

I think that light should be ok but idk if it will let you grow acropora. How long is the 15? But yeah $50 for both is good

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pics

Ok got the pics in.

Question about the red stuff next to the Chalice frag, on the left. Is is bad?
60074-albums13960-picture67470.jpg

Anyone have an actual name for this?
60074-albums13960-picture67469.jpg

60074-albums13960-picture67480.jpg

60074-albums13960-picture67481.jpg

Three in the pic
60074-albums13960-picture67489.jpg

60074-albums13960-picture67485.jpg

That could be a type of coralline algae next to the chalice. Then again it could be cyano bacteria, which can be ugly. Best way to tell is rub it. If its skimpy and it comes off its probably cyano. If its hard and don't come off, its probably coralline. There are different colors and types. As far as the other photo ID, I'm not really sure what that is. Is it a coral or macroalgae?

That could be a type of coralline algae next to the chalice. Then again it could be cyano bacteria, which can be ugly. Best way to tell is rub it. If its skimpy and it comes off its probably cyano. If its hard and don't come off, its probably coralline. There are different colors and types. As far as the other photo ID, I'm not really sure what that is. Is it a coral or macroalgae?

I was told the other picture was possibly Fiji Yellow Leather, it is rather orange tan a little more than yellow. Since I don't know what they look like I couldn't say. Most of the pics listed online are large specimens so it is hard to tell as mine is about 3" across, just a frag. It is in front of the flow and near the top close to the light.

The red stuff on the reddish Chalice frag was just a bit slippery and did rub off so I rubbed it as close to the edge of the coral as I could with out touching it. I think I should use a q-tip and get the rest off, any thoughts?

60074-albums13960-picture67536.jpg

My other problem is a Kenya tree which is at the edge of my coral rubble and exactly in between three big mushrooms, I don't know how to get it out without damaging the mushroom's foot/base?
60074-albums13960-picture67535.jpg

Here you can see the tannish yellowish leather? Then the mushroom behind it, do these split or is it just 2 together?
60074-albums13960-picture67534.jpg

A bit of an update.

My Scooter Blenny is seemingly thin looking. He seems to eat every time I feed so I am not too sure what the deal is. I bought some frozen Mysis shrimp food and it has vitamins too so hoping that helps him. I will be picking up some Tisbe pods this weekend. The lfs I went to didn't have any.

Do green mushrooms move on their own? My green mushrooms which there is a pic. It moved over a 4-5 inch tall rock, somehow to the rear of this pic and to the right around the corner and then a few days later moved further under a rock. It isn't attached to anything, I tried to get it to attach to a rock but it didn't.
60074-albums13960-picture67507.jpg

The Clowns are pigs but full of life and very fun.

The Clown Goby is growing still and more friendly.

Just make the chalice is under some flow. I've personally never had a mushroom move on me, but if it isn't attached to anything I guess it could move around from the current. As far as the Kenya, you could just try your best not to cut into the mushrooms, but if you do they should heal or possibly even split. I wish you luck with that scooter blenny, he's really cool. They kinda need pods. You can always try frozen prawn roe too.

Just make the chalice is under some flow. I've personally never had a mushroom move on me, but if it isn't attached to anything I guess it could move around from the current. As far as the Kenya, you could just try your best not to cut into the mushrooms, but if you do they should heal or possibly even split. I wish you luck with that scooter blenny, he's really cool. They kinda need pods. You can always try frozen prawn roe too.

The Chalice is about 4" away from the HOB out flow, meaning next to where the greatest pouring of water is, out a bit and 4" to the right, I might try moving it over a couple inches closer. That is how it got flipped over and landed in the sand and I lost almost half, the part that laid in the sand.

The Mushroom literally had to get over that rock that it is in front of in the pic a couple posts up, and you could see it was in the corner... So weird.

I have a few of the same Mushroom, as is with the Kenya, but maybe I can figure out something when it is still closed up, or just move the whole thing into the Macro Algae 5G Chi tank. But I am concerned about little reddish tube things being something that starts with a V (snail?)I think and they are very bad, if that is what they are. So I wouldn't want any of the things to kill it.

I saw one of those red tube things in a Chalice at the LFS. I haven't bought any corals from them but I can really see why you need to dip things.

Do you use a coral dip brand you are happy with? Or anyone else...?

I will check on the prawn roe tomorrow. Also the other lfs 50 min. in the other direction might have some, and the one a total of an hour and 15 min away is supposed to have some Pods.

My tank has (had) some but the little guy might have ate them all up. He gets fed 2x or more per day, BBS, occasionally Brine shrimp and all the kinds of foods like Marine A, some Marine flakes, some Ken's growth formula.

Every time I feed I see him eat something. He is my favorite fish. I have some expensive garlic oil additive/supplemement, I wonder if adding that will help anything.

Pods tomorrow! I have 3 chances (stores), otherwise I will need to order them online.

The Chalice is about 4" away from the HOB out flow, meaning next to where the greatest pouring of water is, out a bit and 4" to the right, I might try moving it over a couple inches closer. That is how it got flipped over and landed in the sand and I lost almost half, the part that laid in the sand.

The Mushroom literally had to get over that rock that it is in front of in the pic a couple posts up, and you could see it was in the corner... So weird.

I have a few of the same Mushroom, as is with the Kenya, but maybe I can figure out something when it is still closed up, or just move the whole thing into the Macro Algae 5G Chi tank. But I am concerned about little reddish tube things being something that starts with a V (snail?)I think and they are very bad, if that is what they are. So I wouldn't want any of the things to kill it.

I saw one of those red tube things in a Chalice at the LFS. I haven't bought any corals from them but I can really see why you need to dip things.

Do you use a coral dip brand you are happy with? Or anyone else...?

I will check on the prawn roe tomorrow. Also the other lfs 50 min. in the other direction might have some, and the one a total of an hour and 15 min away is supposed to have some Pods.

My tank has (had) some but the little guy might have ate them all up. He gets fed 2x or more per day, BBS, occasionally Brine shrimp and all the kinds of foods like Marine A, some Marine flakes, some Ken's growth formula.

Every time I feed I see him eat something. He is my favorite fish. I have some expensive garlic oil additive/supplemement, I wonder if adding that will help anything.

Pods tomorrow! I have 3 chances (stores), otherwise I will need to order them online.

I've used a few coral dips. Seachem makes an affordable one that works. But the best I've used and my hands down favorite is Coral RX. Its kinds pricey, but IMO is worth it. It can gets rid many unwanted things and corals LOVE a dip with this stuff. Not sure what the red rube things are, but I'm sure most coral dips would make them fall off, and that is what I highly recommend!

I actually picked up a red scooter blenny yesterday! I've always liked them and they had one that was bright red so I had to scoop it up. I hope both of ours does well! I've had a standard one before and it did great. It loved the prawn roe. I was actually recommended prawn roe a long time ago when my mandarin wasn't eating.

That mushroom is still a mystery to me. Make sure the chalice doesn't have air bubbles hitting it from the hob too.

I've used a few coral dips. Seachem makes an affordable one that works. But the best I've used and my hands down favorite is Coral RX. Its kinds pricey, but IMO is worth it. It can gets rid many unwanted things and corals LOVE a dip with this stuff. Not sure what the red rube things are, but I'm sure most coral dips would make them fall off, and that is what I highly recommend!

I actually picked up a red scooter blenny yesterday! I've always liked them and they had one that was bright red so I had to scoop it up. I hope both of ours does well! I've had a standard one before and it did great. It loved the prawn roe. I was actually recommended prawn roe a long time ago when my mandarin wasn't eating.

That mushroom is still a mystery to me. Make sure the chalice doesn't have air bubbles hitting it from the hob too.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Of course you had to scoop it up! The Ruby Reds are stunning, my lfs had one but I (obviously) needed practice on keeping fish of any kind. So I wanted to start out with "easy" fish... :facepalm: I really would like to get a Mandarin of any color someday and a Ruby Red maybe at different times or in a larger tank.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Of course you had to scoop it up! The Ruby Reds are stunning, my lfs had one but I (obviously) needed practice on keeping fish of any kind. So I wanted to start out with "easy" fish... :facepalm: I really would like to get a Mandarin of any color someday and a Ruby Red maybe at different times or in a larger tank.

There is no easy dragonet. Lol. I've seen pictures of the rubys. They are awesome, I would have got one but LFS never has them. Mandarins are always beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom