1st Time Treating Ick - Denison Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfisherman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Y'all. Long time reader, first time aquarist. Anyways, I have my first case of Ick to treat, and even though I've read up on it a lot, I thought I'd ask you guys directly what I should do in my particular case. Let me tell you the plan and then let me know what you think.

Tank Info:
- fishless cycled 60 gallon (48x12x24) with Fluval 306 Canister and Fluval E Series Heater (usually set to 77F)
- PH is on the high side, around 8, Ammonia is always below 0.02ppm
- Water coniditoner is Prime, dosed to treat chloramine, stability was used during the cycle
- all tank contents (gravel, drift wood, rocks, etc.) were brand new, rinsed, and never touched any of my other tanks
- I use different nets for each of my tanks, and am very careful about cross contamination (I even have separate siphons for each tank)
- Tank is setup with long and high artificial plants and has lots of rocks and hiding places, resembles the bottom of a fast flowing river

Introduction:
- last night was my LFS's midnight madness sale so had to take advantage of low low prices
- had a 60 gallon going with no fish in it, ready to stock
- since it is a new tank, I got juveniles of the fish to raise, plus they are cheaper

Stocking List:
x6 1" Denison Barbs (NEW)
x2 1.5" Rainbow Sharks (NEW)
x1 2" Boesmani Rainbow Fish (Old)
x2 2" Male Sword Tails (NEW)

Diagnosis:
- this morning I woke up to feed and inspect the fish, they all fed aggressively on a variety of foods (veggie flakes, fishmeal flakes, frozen brine shrimp)
- Noticed single white spots on 3 denison barb's fins
- I've had livebearers with Ick before so pretty sure it's the same thing (I did not treat it so they expired)
- I have a feeling the swordtails brought the Ick, as I've had tons of issues with them before (But they match the colour scheme of my tank! :cool: )
- Only denisons show signs of Ick, for now...

Possible Treatment (THIS IS WHERE YOU TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO! :brows: ) :
- I plan to raise temperature slowly to 84F over the next 24 hours (can my Denisons take that high of a temp?) duration will be approximately 14 days
- I can add approximately 10ml of aquarium salt per 10 gallons, pre-dessolved in tank water, added slowly over the next 24 hours
- I can do a water change in 7 days (if tank balances allow) and re-up the salt and conditioner levels
- Hopefully after 10 days or so, the fish show less or no signs of Ick, and treatment can end after an additional 4 or 5 days with no signs
- I have major air stone action going on and the canister filter works with the bubbles to make a nice river type flow (the rainbow sharks and boesemani love to run up the bubbles and launch off the top of the water :ROFLMAO: )

Notes:
- I DO have quarantine tanks (actually I have 2) BUT they are occupied at the moment. One tank has x4 rainbow fish that are suffering from possible columnaris and will continue to be quarantined until they beat the infection, then will be added to the 60 gallon, my second quarantine tank is my safe tank that has has no signs of any sicknesses with any fish I've had go through it (It currently holds a couple of platys just to keep the bio-filter going while I figure out my future stocking schemes)
- Basically, I did not quarantine the new fish I got because my 1 quarantine tank is full of sick rainbows, and the other one is my safety tank in case I need to save healthy fish or for future quarantine of new additions (I always have an open mind lol)
- I also did not quarantine the new fish because I know that last night during the sale, the turn around was so fast that all my fish were probably coming from tanks with the same water, using the same net, so chances are if infections or bacteria were in those tanks, all the fish I was getting are going to be exposed to the same thing
- I was thinking of trying to net the infected denisons and quarantine them in my safe tank (defeating the purpose of my safe tank lol) but the way my tank is setup, they are impossible to catch in a net

Any opinions will be appreciated no matter how outrageous, I keep an open mind! I definitely want to try to beat this without so much chemicals, and I want to keep my denisons alive and well as they are to be my focus on this 60 gallon once they reach adult size

Over the last 24 hours I have raised the temp to 84F, fish seem ok. Lost one Denison overnight though, but strangely it did not have any Ick spots so perhaps it was just a dud. I have 3/4 of the salt in there and will be adding the last quarter in 6 hours. I hope this can start treating the ick!

Fish do seem lethargic however when the lights are off but I'm guessing that's just a natural response to the dark.

ok guys, my fish are now showing no signs of which is great after only 5 days of treatment. So I'm thinking now that the Ick has fallen off them and now in the next phase or the free swimming phase. Hopefully the heat and salt conditions are enough to kill them. I'm dying to do a water change (not because of ammonia though, just from tannins in my water) but I guess I'll wait another 24-48 hours.

A new issue is brewing though, as my denison barbs and rainbows have enflammed red gills. Could this be a bacterial infection? I heard salt will not help me treat that though, any tips would be welcome. Again, I'd have to treat my whole tank since my baby fish are too small and fast to catch with a net (my tank has soooo much cover and hiding spots lol)

Back
Top Bottom