2.5 DIY Hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankerJs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone! I'm looking for some help on creating a strong light hood for my 2.5 gallon. I have an internal filter (Tom's Aquarium 1-5gal) and a tetra 2-10 gallon heater running...so the hood needs to have two small openings for those to string out. I currently just have a piece of plastic with some holes in it, but it doesn't even fit very well. I will add pictures in a little while. Does anyone have light suggestions for any kinds of plants or a way I could build a hood for it? Thanks!

I either want to use a single light like this.
0075527721100_500X500.jpg

It's just a 10w fluorescent 6500k bulb-- but I don't know what I would use to light it with.
My other option is LEDs.
Any suggestions?
I also found this, it is for terrariums, but he dimensions might work...what do you guys think?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752557&lmdn=Lighting

Well, you could set up a mesh cover and then have your light up above the mesh. Or you could get creative and cut some wood to be bigger than the top of the tank, with the needed holes of course, and then cut holes in the middle, then cover those holes with clear plastic of some sort, and then situate the plastic lid you have to sit on top of the wood and put the lights in the plastic part, and voilà! You have a new lid! (I am only fifteen and these were just some ideas that I came up with, but I do hope they help you out) oh and I just had another idea! But it WILL definitely cost money, but I think it'll look cool and give you bragging rights! If you go buy that foamy stuff, the clay stuff that dries as a lightweight almost styrofoam stuff, and make that to fit the top of your tank and leave a space for lights, then, this is the important part, the clay stuff will most likely be poisonous to your fishy friends because evaporation will drop back into the water! You need polymer baking clay, and you need to first fit it to the shape of the styrofoam stuff, and then bake it. Last step: cut the holes for lights and other tank items and get a plastic cover for the lights to avoid electrocution! Did I help? ^^

Hey age doesn't matter in this hobby :)! These are good ideas. I think I have found a way to do it though. I am going to buy the reptile light fixture I posted a link to. Cut thin plastic to go behind and in front of it, or maybe under the whole thing, completely covering the tank. This should work just fine, especially if the light I decide to use will not melt the plastic (fluorescent doesn't usually produce heat). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the reptile fixture fits. I am about to head over to petsmart and I will ask if I can try it on a 2.5 they have there before buying it. Wish me luck! By the way alia, I'm only 17. Do not get intimidated by the older folk with more experience than us. They are our equals in the hobby! Fishkeepers are fishkeepers :)

Haha well it's nice to know that there're younger people in the hobby like me! Aquariums are oddly addicting, because they look really boring untill you get one, and one you have one you end up wanting more and more! So many fish, such a small tank! Haha ^^

I agree, and I have finished my DIY hood/lighting...final cost $16.34 :D

It is a $6 dollar desk lamp, with some foam taped on so that the bulb doesn't stick out of the lamp shade at all and the top of a Swiffer Mop box with some holes drilled in the top and two holes cut out of the sides for the filter and heater cords. I really like it, and it is effective.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/201/1000246.jpg/][/URL]

I love it, the light has a purple glow and it is so relaxing to look at. The black on black also adds to the lights perfection :D hopefully it will grow that hornwort in there :)

I think I'll have a black background in m 10g soon ^^

Back
Top Bottom