2 sick tinfoil barbs - I think?? Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sinder

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

- Type: Tin Foil Barb - 5 in total - 2 fish with 'issues'

one is constantly hiding, never swiming with the others. He eats, but not as aggressively as his tank mates. No visible markings or oddness.

one is acting normally, feeding but has a pearl white substance on it's noggin above the left eye size of the diameter of a q-tip head. Also has 2 other spots of similar size along its back.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

- ammonia - 0ppm
- nitrites - 0ppm - .25ppm
- nitrates - 5ppm (water change 11/18/05)
- temp - 24 C
- pH - 7.5

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

- 90 gallon. Set up for approx. 1 and a half months.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Magnum 330 and a Bio-Wheel Pro 60 approx 600gph total.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

6 fish in the tank
- 1 common pleco - approx. 12"
- 5 Tinfoil Barbs - range approx 2.5" - 4"

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

Water change weekly last was 11/18/05, vacuum gravel bi-weekly remove approx 25% at a time.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Fish approx 1 month.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Added 3 new fake plants to increase hiding areas.

9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

They get fed flake food along with a shrimp pellet.

The one that doesn't eat aggressively as the others may just not be as aggressive to food, if he eats and has no other symptoms, he is probably ok. The fish with the white substance, how long has it been there, has it grown any? You could add melafix and pimafix to the tank as they would not cause any disruption to the other fish if you think it is the beginning of a fungus. It may not be a fungus if the fish has always had it and it hasn't grown any.

Looks like the growth has been clearing up... not sure why but I figured out why they're always hiding.

The light, second it goes off they are swimming around having a great time. The moment it goes on off to their corners.

How can I get them to come out into the light? currently a single 40 watt florescent bulb suspended about a foot above the tank.

Back
Top Bottom