20 gallon build?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

etemp714

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
im new to the salt game and im only allowed a max of 20 gallons since im on the 2nd floor. So what would you guys recommend for a small tank? throw some ideas at me, what would do good until i can setup a big tank?:whistle:

etemp714 said:
im new to the salt game and im only allowed a max of 20 gallons since im on the 2nd floor. So what would you guys recommend for a small tank? throw some ideas at me, what would do good until i can setup a big tank?:whistle:

If you can go with a 29g for more fish options.

what kind of 29g setup would you recommend? just live rock with a couple fish or a reef tank? would you recommend those biocubes or go with a regular tank?

I have a 29g rectangle and have a pair of percula clowns, a pygmy angel, algae blenny and a hectors goby. Also several corals.

what kind of filter are you running? for small tanks like a 29g whats the best lighting for it? a guy at my LFS told me that the corals will live but wont grow under LED only MH.

I think if you get the right LED's, they are better than any thing else. There are low power LED's out there that aren't very good.

etemp714 said:
what kind of 29g setup would you recommend? just live rock with a couple fish or a reef tank? would you recommend those biocubes or go with a regular tank?

Go with a fowlr first then transition to a reef over time when you get the idea of it.

Are those biocubes the way to go or are they over rated? I was talking to a different LFS guy and he told me he could set me up a tank and put fish in the same day with a guarantee of no casualties... Is this guy blowing smoke or not?

etemp714 said:
Are those biocubes the way to go or are they over rated? I was talking to a different LFS guy and he told me he could set me up a tank and put fish in the same day with a guarantee of no casualties... Is this guy blowing smoke or not?

The only way he could do that is if he has cured live rock

I have a 29g biocube without a skimmer and it runs fine, as long as I do proper water changes. :)

I have also had the 29g straight tank too and I like the biocube better. It comes with everything you need almost except for a heater and an extra powerhead. You have decent lighting for some corals so you dont have to drop $200 or more on a light for a straight 29g.

Hope that helps!

This may be a dumb question but when you do your pwc are you adding saltwater ro or fresh water ro... A buddy told me you add fresh

For PWC you add salt. An average cost of a fowlr 29g set-up would be about $150 with out fish or tank costs.

What do you guys recommend doing... The fish less cycle or another way... I read the thread and being impatient is gonna play against but I guess I can suck it up if I have to

What do you guys recommend doing... The fish less cycle or another way... I read the thread and being impatient is gonna play against but I guess I can suck it up if I have to

Do fishless. It will finish before you know it. After all it's only 2-3 weeks and you have years afterwards to enjoy your tank :)

Back
Top Bottom