20-gallon high (med/high-light) planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

somecallmedaniel16

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey AA!

So after over 2 years, I have returned to start up my tank again - I had to take down my tank at the end of high school because I couldn't have a tank in my dorm, but now I am living off campus so I decided to pick up the hobby again!

This round, I decided to try using higher light - I am using the same fixture from high school but with higher-wattage bulbs and I am using the stock light fixture (with a replaced bulb) as well.

Equipment
20G high glass tank
Whisper 20 power filter (stock HOB)
100 W heater
Coralife Aqualight T5 dual lamp, 1 x 10,000K Coralife 24W bulb, 1 x 6,700K Coralife 24W bulb
DIY CO2 bottle
Mix of Eco-Complete and gravel for substrate

Stock
5 x Tiger Barb

Plants
Baby tears
Pogostemon stellatus
Rotala indica
Amazon sword
Wisteria
Hydrocotyle sp. japan
Ludwigia repens

------
I just got in all the plant clippings (except for the wisteria and swords, which have been in as long as the barbs) today from another AA member, Junglefowl! A big thanks to him for the plant package! I will start dosing ferts later this week; I am going to try the EI system as demonstrated in this Youtube video by PlantedTankUK. I bought the salts and some 500 mL bottles that should be arriving in a couple days.

So, I have a couple questions for you all, and I think I will just post questions for advice and help on this thread unless I have really pertinent help, in which case I will probably search for solutions online.

As I mentioned, I only have 5 tiger barbs in my tank now. They are doing well, and they look healthy although they haven't quite gotten their richer red color yet (bought them from Petsmart about 10 days ago). As my plants fill in and I see that the tank's parameters are becoming more balanced, I thought I would add a couple more fish. What fish do you all think would look best and would be most compatible? I was considering adding up to 3 more tiger barbs and ending my stock there, knowing that they grow to over 2" and they're semi-aggressive as well.

Secondly, I'm having a problem with one of my pieces of driftwood, the largest one (in the middle). I don't know what kind it is, but I have boiled it twice for about 30 minutes each time and it's been in my tank for about 2 weeks, yet it's still not sinking on its own; it's being propped down by the stone towards the back left corner. Do you know any solutions to this? Perhaps just leave it in an outside container for several weeks and see if it will sink then? I have another piece of driftwood that I had used all the way back in high school (2.5 years ago) that had some java moss attached to it. I decided to keep the stick, thinking I might use it later if I ever set up my tank again. The java moss isn't doing too well though - I have heard a couple stories of people reviving their moss even after long periods of time out of the water, but we'll see.

Here's one picture - the water is cloudy because I've been fiddling with the plants and did a PWC and gravel filter earlier, but it's a start!

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to this.

Attachments

• IMG_20130521_211056_970.jpg
    IMG_20130521_211056_970.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 178
Boiling the driftwood for only an hour is not enough. I had to boil one of my driftwood pieces ( around 7" long ) for over 12 hours. The best solution is to screw it onto slate. That will make sure it stays down.

I would get some kind of clean up crew ( algae eater, Pleco, snail, shrimp, etc ) to help get rid of waste/algae. I would get some other fish. Not more tiger barbs. Barbs will only be semi-aggressive (nippy )to slower moving fish. I would get some Cory cats ( maybe 3 ) or some loaches, or some cool/showy fish.

Boiling the driftwood for only an hour is not enough. I had to boil one of my driftwood pieces ( around 7" long ) for over 12 hours. The best solution is to screw it onto slate. That will make sure it stays down.

Thanks, I will try to do it for a couple hours later this week!

I would get some kind of clean up crew ( algae eater, Pleco, snail, shrimp, etc ) to help get rid of waste/algae. I would get some other fish. Not more tiger barbs. Barbs will only be semi-aggressive (nippy )to slower moving fish. I would get some Cory cats ( maybe 3 ) or some loaches, or some cool/showy fish.

Right, I had snails in my last tank and I was waiting for this shipment of plants to see if I would get any snails, but no luck. I haven't had cories before - would they be sufficient for algae maintenance on their own?

Right, I had snails in my last tank and I was waiting for this shipment of plants to see if I would get any snails, but no luck. I haven't had corys before - would they be sufficient for algae maintenance on their own?

They might be. Not sure if cories eat algae. They Prob do but they r bottom feeders so the glass algae will not be eaten by the cories. 1 snail plus a couple Cory would be sufficient.

They might be. Not sure if cories eat algae. They Prob do but they r bottom feeders so the glass algae will not be eaten by the cories. 1 snail plus a couple Cory would be sufficient.

Cories are not Algae eaters. They are bottom feeders and need a meat based diet. They should be in groups. I'd do 5-6 at least if you have room.

You don't need a ton of algae eaters if your tank is maintained and balanced. Nerites are nice, won't breed and are nice looking. I have Otos in my tanks. 3-4 or more. Stay small and are hard working.

Cories are not Algae eaters. They are bottom feeders and need a meat based diet. They should be in groups. I'd do 5-6 at least if you have room.

You don't need a ton of algae eaters if your tank is maintained and balanced. Nerites are nice, won't breed and are nice looking. I have Otos in my tanks. 3-4 or more. Stay small and are hard working.

Otos r harder to keep than other types of algae eater cuz they r so tiny, they r also very sensitive to water parameters.

A couple updates:

I bought a piece of Malaysian driftwood from my LFS today and boiled it for a couple hours. My other piece of driftwood that was not sinking earlier is now much more waterlogged and will stay on the the aquarium floor.

I set up my DIY CO2 bottle and made a recipe last night, and I also prepared my fertilizer solutions. I actually purchased the PPS-Pro fertilizing pack from GLA because it offered two 500-mL bottles, thinking that the EI and PPS systems were basically the same. After some more research, though, I decided to go through with the PPS system and see how it works out. Definitely a great deal! The $40 I invested should last me for years!

I also bought some java moss and 2 otos and 1 golden mystery snail from my LFS. I attached some moss to a couple driftwood pieces with a rubber band.

As I was moving around some of plants to place the new driftwood piece in, it seemed like many of my stem plants had not yet sprouted roots; I became a little worried. For example, I didn't find any new roots on the baby tears or pogostemon stellatus. They've been in my substrate for about 3 days - is this a problem? About how long does it take for clippings to take root in a new substrate?

A couple updates:

I bought a piece of Malaysian driftwood from my LFS today and boiled it for a couple hours. My other piece of driftwood that was not sinking earlier is now much more waterlogged and will stay on the the aquarium floor.

I set up my DIY CO2 bottle and made a recipe last night, and I also prepared my fertilizer solutions. I actually purchased the PPS-Pro fertilizing pack from GLA because it offered two 500-mL bottles, thinking that the EI and PPS systems were basically the same. After some more research, though, I decided to go through with the PPS system and see how it works out. Definitely a great deal! The $40 I invested should last me for years!

I also bought some java moss and 2 otos and 1 golden mystery snail from my LFS. I attached some moss to a couple driftwood pieces with a rubber band.

As I was moving around some of plants to place the new driftwood piece in, it seemed like many of my stem plants had not yet sprouted roots; I became a little worried. For example, I didn't find any new roots on the baby tears or pogostemon stellatus. They've been in my substrate for about 3 days - is this a problem? About how long does it take for clippings to take root in a new substrate?

I have never had baby tears but I'm pretty sure they should sprout roots soon. Is there a common name for the "pogostemon stellatus"? Is that a carpet type of plant?

They need high light and ferts and co2. U can tell they need high light by there red leaves.

Yep. Well all of my plants are doing well! The stem plants have been taking a while to take root, but after this weekend (I was away for a beach trip) they all have started to root a little.

My fish are all doing well, except one tiger barb seems to have slightly pale or discolored scales. He/she is eating and schooling well, but I'm a bit worried for it. I couldn't get a great picture of it that would distinguish it from the others, but I'll post news of any changes.

Here are some new pictures of my new 'scape. I show a pic of one of my otos with some new growth on the wisteria, how my stem plants are arranged right now, etc. I'll probably move the new Malaysian DW piece forward in the tank later on when my stem plants grow taller so that I will have enough room to put them in the background and grow over the piece - I think that will add some good depth to the tank.

I appreciate any comments and advice!

Attachments

• IMG_20130527_220413_788.jpg
    IMG_20130527_220413_788.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20130527_221033_341.jpg
    IMG_20130527_221033_341.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20130527_220939_814.jpg
    IMG_20130527_220939_814.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20130527_221009_768.jpg
    IMG_20130527_221009_768.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 51
Yep. Well all of my plants are doing well! The stem plants have been taking a while to take root, but after this weekend (I was away for a beach trip) they all have started to root a little.

My fish are all doing well, except one tiger barb seems to have slightly pale or discolored scales. He/she is eating and schooling well, but I'm a bit worried for it. I couldn't get a great picture of it that would distinguish it from the others, but I'll post news of any changes.

Here are some new pictures of my new 'scape. I'll probably move the new Malaysian DW piece forward in the tank later on when my stem plants grow taller so that I will have enough room to put them in the background and grow over the piece - I think that will add some good depth to the tank.

I appreciate any comments and advice!

What kind of lighting do u have? I would add some jungle vals in the back to cover up the hoses and other stuff. Jungle val is also a great background plant.

Yeah, I was definitely considering those last time I went to the store. I'll get some vals and maybe a couple more tigers the next time I visit my LFS.

I have 2 14-watt T5 bulbs (one 6700K and the other 10000K) and one 15-watt T8 bulb (not sure of the color temperature, but it's made by GE and says plant & aquarium on it) on the front of my tank. So, that's a total of 63 watts. I'd daresay my lighting is actually high lighting, not just medium light. What do you think?

Yeah, I was definitely considering those last time I went to the store. I'll get some vals and maybe a couple more tigers the next time I visit my LFS.

I have 2 14-watt T5 bulbs (one 6700K and the other 10000K) and one 15-watt T8 bulb (not sure of the color temperature, but it's made by GE and says plant & aquarium on it) on the front of my tank. So, that's a total of 63 watts. I'd daresay my lighting is actually high lighting, not just medium light. What do you think?

That is most likely high lighting. 63 watts on a 20 gal is prob high. If u have high lighting, u have a much larger variety of plants u can pick from. How many tigers do u have right now?

I have 5 right now. I'm debating getting more of another kind of fish like neon tetras or gouramis or just keeping the barbs and getting at max 3 more, considering they grow to 3".

I wouldn't get the gourami as the barbs can nip the delicate "whiskers" of the gourami. ( the two strands dangling from gill area). Neon tetras will be fine with the barbs.

Back
Top Bottom