20 gallon ready for corals need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwater T

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, this is my first saltwater tank and so far i have had great success now i am FINALLY ready to add some corals but i need advice on what type, how many, placement. Any advice or opinion would really help.

Here are my specs:
20 gal
HOB filter
130w CF Lighting (6.5w per gal.)
one white one blue atinic
249 gph powerhead
20 lb live rock
live sand

Any ideas?
Thank you

Get some pretty neon zoa and purple mushrooms. Check ebay and you can find some amazing coral frags for dirt cheap. Small portions, but hey they grow and spread.

Why not go the extra mile and create a region specific biotope including fish and corals?

A regional biotope consists of a specific region, such as the Great Barrier Reef. You can even choose between Northern, Southern, etc. Then you can decide whether you would like a soft, lps, or sps display and which corals occur in the given area you choose. Compatible fish can also be chosen for the specific area even as particular as to what depth they are common to. It literally brings a slice of the reef home and not a hodge-podge of animals. Even though your tank may be set up the way you like, which is fine, regional aquascapes can be mustered by viewing online pictures of what regional formations actually take place.

Oh ok that sounds like a good i prefer LPS corals and is there any way i can have a clam if so which biotope should i choose

The biotope is up to you. Ever been scuba diving or snorkeling and fell in love with the underwater scenery? Perhaps that can be a focal point. I will advise that you will be limited in coral spp. if chosing the Caribbean (Atlantic) biotopes. You might be able to get away with a Tridacna squamosa under your lighting (better off with two 10ks or a 10k and a 6700k), but I don't advise them for new setups nor inexperienced aquarists : )

OK thanks i will look into a few different regions what is one of your favorites?

Heh, I have many favorites, but a few are: Indonesia, Red Sea, Japan, Caribbean (gorgonians), and New Caledonia (Australia).

Back
Top Bottom