20 Gallon Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Since I cant pick up my new 55 gallon until Wednesday, i decided to set up another 20 gallon to pass the time. I would like to have a school of tiger barbs and another school of some other colorful fish in this tank along with a couple bottom feeders. I will be over filtering this with a Tetra EX45 that is rated for a 45 gallon tank. What other fish would make a nice school along side Tiger barbs and, what would be a good bottom feeder?

I'm no expert but I do have some tiger barbs and they can be quite nippy but I have them with lamp eyed tetras and some Congo tetras (the males are beautiful IMO) these go together ok for me and I haven't had any trouble with them... One thing about the tiger barbs is they do dash around a lot and I have been told that they can make some of the 'quieter' breeds of fish nervous :)

Here's my 20 gallon that I am setting up. Would ghost shrimp be ok with what little plants and hiding spots I have?

img_1923200_0_869e57d925ef1f1617d0fc97510e5184.jpg

Here's my 20 gallon that I am setting up. Would ghost shrimp be ok with what little plants and hiding spots I have?

img_1923218_0_869e57d925ef1f1617d0fc97510e5184.jpg

Yes,they get pretty large
But they will kill and eat fish fry and small fish

Yes,they get pretty large
But they will kill and eat fish fry and small fish

Ive never seen a ghost shrimp over an inch in size. I've also never heard of them killing other fish. Fry maybe but I dont think they could bring down anything larger.

Anyway, back to my original topic.... Would a school of 5 or 6 tiger barbs and a small school of cherry barbs work out in this tank?

I have Cherry Barbs and Neon Tetra's thanks to my wife, lol. All seem to be doing just fine. 4 Neons and 3 Cherries at the moment. Once my tank parameters are stable I will build the schools up a bit :)

A school of tigers should be fine. I have six tiger barbs, 4 panda corydoras (great bottom feeders!! Also they help clean the bottom of your tank) and 6 gosh shrimps. They are all happy in my tank for over a year!!!

Back
Top Bottom