20 gallon stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirrie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Now that my 20 gallon is cycled and partially stocked, I need some more suggestions!

It is a 20 gallon high, planted, with driftwood and sand substrate.

6 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Julii Corys (currently have 2, getting 4 more this week)
1 Crowntail Betta (very friendly/non aggressive)
Considering an African Dwarf Frog

I was considering moving the betta to his own tank and getting a pair of Bolivian Rams, but I have been having a tough time finding someone who sells pairs, and I have read that they would prefer a 20 gallon long instead of a 20 gallon high.

I would like something that can be kept in a pair, or a trio, that will stand out in my tank. I have a male dwarf gourami in one of my other tanks, so I would like something different.

Also, it would be great if the fish could get along with my betta. He is very friendly, so I would just have to avoid other aggressive fish that would pick on him, or other fish that would look too much like another betta. If nothing really fits that description, I can move him into his own tank.

So, any suggestions? :)

German blue rams or apistos! My 20 gallon is very similar to yours, except that it has 5 peppered corys and a pair of german blue rams and I'm going to add a school of tetras for the midwater.

Granted if you kept the betta in there I wouldnt trust him with GBRs

I wouldn't either. I have 2 10 gallons with bettas. One is divided and has an elephant ear and a crowntail, the other is not divided and has a plakat. I was going to divide it and move this crowntail in with him, but he has a very stubborn case of fin melt and I would hate for the crowntail to get fin melt too. I may just get him his own tank.

So GBR's would be ok in a 20 gallon high? Are they smaller than Bolivian Rams?

I have never kept Apistos before and I am seeing that there are many different kinds. Any suggestions for ones that would work well in my tank?

A little and far prettier IMO
Here's some pics of my two females-

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They are beautiful. The only reason why I was considering Bolivian Rams rather than German Blue Rams is because they seem to be a bit less common and I am getting to the point where I want to keep some more uncommon fish.

I have rummynose and white skirt tetras, a dwarf gourami, peppered, bronze and julii corys, nerite snails, harlequin rasboras, a bristlenose pleco and 4 bettas.

GBRs arent necessarily uncommon, but I would say that they are a good way to earn some aquarist "stripes" if you will. I've found bolivian rams to be about as common as GBRs but bolivians are much sturdier as far as water quality. I had a bolivian in a 26 gallon in my 2nd year of fishkeeping and it survived all of my idiotic mistakes. German blues are pickier about water quality; you need to keep water quality good and very stable.

I don't actually know much about apistos but I think prettymuch all of them would work in your tank minus the betta. I do know that cacatuoides is the most adaptable to different water quality whereas some need it very soft.

I will have to look more into apistos, and maybe find out where I could get a pair of GBR's.

It will be some time before I actually add anything else besides some more corys and maybe an ADF. I have had some of my other tanks for 2+ years, but this tank is only a few months old and I want to wait until it's more established before I spend my money ordering fish online. The only pet stores I have nearby are Petco and PetSmart, so I will more than likely have to order either of these fish online. That will give me some time to figure out what I am going to do with Thomas (the betta in my profile picture).

GBR stay a bit smaller than Bolivians. Good starter apistos are cacatuoides and borellii as both are pretty hardy and peaceful. If you're looking for something a little more unusual you could look into peacock gudgeons or possibly a checkerboard cichlid.

GBR stay a bit smaller than Bolivians. Good starter apistos are cacatuoides and borellii as both are pretty hardy and peaceful. If you're looking for something a little more unusual you could look into peacock gudgeons or possibly a checkerboard cichlid.

+1

Fishobsessed7

Keep in mind though, depending on how you feel about hybrids, that there's a hybrid apisto that is often sold as borelli "steel blue". Make sure that the apistos you find aren't these. (Unless you don't care about hybrids, then go ahead)

The only apisto available near me is the steel blues, and generally theyre all males.

Back
Top Bottom