20 gallon tall stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got a new to me 20 tall today. I have a few ideas as to what to put in it but I need suggestions. With my crazy work schedule I do water changes when I get to it which can be a few weeks to sometimes more than a month. Therefore whatever I get will live with planys :)
I thought about just getting one big lazy fish. Like a toadfish or something. Any ideas on this?

Another idea was a pair of some colorful (not dwarf) cichlid. Is that possible?

I also thought about brackish. Can brackish water clean itself with plants like freshwater can?

Otherwise I may just get my brother some cardinal tetras. Wouldnt mind a big crayfish either though.....

Any suggestions or tips welcome and appreciated. God bless!

Will you be around to properly cycle the tank? Unfortunately this takes some time at first to get things going :(

I would think a school of small tetras would be a good choice. I think you could probably have about 15 cardinals in that size. What type of filtration do u have? Or could do a smaller school plus a school of small Cory cats. I love corys.

So I got a new to me 20 tall today. I have a few ideas as to what to put in it but I need suggestions. With my crazy work schedule I do water changes when I get to it which can be a few weeks to sometimes more than a month. Therefore whatever I get will live with planys :)
I thought about just getting one big lazy fish. Like a toadfish or something. Any ideas on this?

Another idea was a pair of some colorful (not dwarf) cichlid. Is that possible?

I also thought about brackish. Can brackish water clean itself with plants like freshwater can?

Otherwise I may just get my brother some cardinal tetras. Wouldnt mind a big crayfish either though.....

Any suggestions or tips welcome and appreciated. God bless!

Will you be around to properly cycle the tank? Unfortunately this takes some time at first to get things going :(

I would think a school of small tetras would be a good choice. I think you could probably have about 15 cardinals in that size. What type of filtration do u have? Or could do a smaller school plus a school of small Cory cats. I love corys.

I will cycle it with old filter media. I will either do the school or 1 big mean fish lol
Although I just doscovered the stand has a whole in the middle so if I go with a schooling fish I might underlight it and make it a futuristic tank :)
But I really like toadfish too...

I am going to have to look up a toadfish, never seen one of those haha!!! Sounds like it could be interesting. Good luck :)

I am going to have to look up a toadfish, never seen one of those haha!!! Sounds like it could be interesting. Good luck :)

Thanks! Like I said not decided yet but I have some more ideas now :)

Not sure but how big does a toad fish get?

I would think you could do a low maintenance tank with a school and a few low light plants, those would help a bit to last out water changes.

I have a 20 gal tall. 3 cories, 6 balloon belly red eye tetras, I'm going to add a few more to that school soon. I also have three tall plants that I grew from bulbs I found at petsmart. Love them, they grow so easily. As they grew bigger I started doing more research about them and am now more into it. They are super healthy and help keep my water fresh. I do water changes about every three weeks (ideally want to do 30-40% once a week) bc I'm busy too...and lazy, but it usually takes that long for nitrate levels to start getting too high.

Whatever you want, check out the bio load for the fish. Less bio load less water changes IMO

Not sure but how big does a toad fish get?

I would think you could do a low maintenance tank with a school and a few low light plants, those would help a bit to last out water changes.

I have a 20 gal tall. 3 cories, 6 balloon belly red eye tetras, I'm going to add a few more to that school soon. I also have three tall plants that I grew from bulbs I found at petsmart. Love them, they grow so easily. As they grew bigger I started doing more research about them and am now more into it. They are super healthy and help keep my water fresh. I do water changes about every three weeks (ideally want to do 30-40% once a week) bc I'm busy too...and lazy, but it usually takes that long for nitrate levels to start getting too high.

Thats the same situation Im in lol I will be doing research. I think Ive narrowed it down to either the toadfish or the small schoolers. Decisions decisions lol

Back
Top Bottom