23L Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tah! =D

I suppose my next buy is the livestock really.. Exciting!

My girlfriend now wants me to covert my 'fairly empty' 30g tank into a Cichlid one.. But that won't happen for a while untill I maybe have the funds.

Basefrog said:
Hey guys, when should I start to do water changes? It has been cycling for about 2 weeks now.

I've been fine with doing a pwc on the 3rd week..also the filter you have(as I do) is for a 20g tank..that's my experience&had mine running going on 5 months...

Righto I shall start PWC next week.

Also I can't decide what shrimp I want.. I know I want about 3 Amano shrimp but then I want some red cherry shrimp (RCS) aswell.

Common RCS - Slighty red, more transparent - £0.99 each

Fire red RCS - 100% red - £6.99 each

+£9 for delivery!

If it wasn't for the price I'd get the Fire red RCS. What do you guys think? And do both breed like rabbits? =)

Any suggestions for the previous comment? ^

Ok so I might go ahead and buy a Ceramic diffuser for my CO2. The chopstick is, I mean was good, untill I released the pressure from the bottle to add a little more yeast. Now it is just not working at all!

Below is a video of my tank: (I shall be uploading more to 'YouTube' so please subscribe) (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
HC is doing best out of all my plants so far.. It is growing side shoots, filling in and getting some good roots =P

Attachments

• SS101463.jpg
    SS101463.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 73
  • SS101465.jpg
    SS101465.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 75
Your tank looks great! I am thinking about buying some LEDs from the LED wholeseller you linked before! I need to light a 56 column (no plants) and a 5.5 gallon (Maybe a high light soon!)

The Downoi seems to be melting off a little, but i'm going to do a water change on friday (will be about 3 weeks after i set up due to cycling). So hopefully that should bring some new life back to it!

Can't wait to get some shrimp so they can start to tidy up all the dead ends =D

Just did a 50% water change because I saw signs of algae =o

Now the HC is pearling loads! Is this normal for after a water change?

Basefrog said:
Righto I shall start PWC next week.

Also I can't decide what shrimp I want.. I know I want about 3 Amano shrimp but then I want some red cherry shrimp (RCS) aswell.

Common RCS - Slighty red, more transparent - £0.99 each

Fire red RCS - 100% red - £6.99 each

+£9 for delivery!

If it wasn't for the price I'd get the Fire red RCS. What do you guys think? And do both breed like rabbits? =)

Check the Mart on this site or elsewhere The Planted Tank forums for example
It's usually MUCH cheaper to buy from other hobbyists !! Try posting a WTB about Shrimp.

Fire Reds will still breed well. RCS and Fire Reds are the Guppies of the Shrimp world.
CAREFUL with CO2 around Shrimp ! Many people gave no issues with Shrimp in high tech tanks. But some report mass deaths.
So read up and don't gas your Shrimp ;)

Amanos need brackish to breed, so don't count on babies from them.

Avoid Crystals til you learn on RCS. CRS are MUCH pickier and more delicate. Once established in a very stable cycled tank they may be a future option for you.

Your tank looks great ! I'm jealous of your HC ;) I'm too lazy to do High Light.

Ok. That's good.

A water change wont do any damage. Will maybe adress the algae issue. But if it gets worse it helps to id the algae. Its sometimes an early indication of what nutrient is lacking or in excess off.

As for the pearling, my plants also have little bubbles on them after a water change. Goes away after a few hours. There are numerous reasons why that could be. Especially if you are using tap water.

But all is looking good so far. I just might get my nano going in the next few weeks. Just need to get my moss going.

Back
Top Bottom