25% water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmiddler

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My change is due tommorrow as my ammonia has creeped up, this is my first time need some help.

The thing is the nitrate in my tap water is of the scale of my API testing kit. I was advised to do the water the night before adding some tap safe, but I'm worried this is not gonna work. Is there anything else I can do? Don't want to lose my guppies or ghost glass fish. Need help asap.

How much nitrates are we talking about? My tap has 10-20 (I have a hard time with the colors) & I do weekly 50%+ water changes. By the end of the week my 46g has around 40 nitrates. I use a water changer for the 46g so its straight from the tap to the tank. My 2 10g tanks I do by bucket, running & treating the water in a bucket right before I remove tank water. Hope this helps.

What size tank do you have? If its small I'd buy some bottled water to do this first change with. A local fish store that is on the same water supply could probably give you some good advice, or if they are on different water they might sell you enough to do your change. I know there are some shops that sell saltwater they mix, some might do the same for freshwater.

My nitrates in my tap read 20-40, I have a 90l tank so fairly big, I tested the water I treated last night and it reading around 5 nitrate level, this is to dangerous surley to put in my tank, but my ammonia in tank is creeping up so need to change it asap

kmiddler said:
My nitrates in my tap read 20-40, I have a 90l tank so fairly big, I tested the water I treated last night and it reading around 5 nitrate level, this is to dangerous surley to put in my tank, but my ammonia in tank is creeping up so need to change it asap

Nitrates are not dangerous unless they are above 40 so your 5 reading is OK. I'd be more concerned about the ammonia. How old is your tank? Do you have plants? Lots of plants can help with the nitrates.

kmiddler said:
Bout 2 months old, yea it has plants, been told to add bacteria is this Right

That's up to you, it won't hurt anything. There's mixed reviews about whether it'll help with cycling or not. You may have said but I don't recall, have you seen nitrites? I had one take 8 wks to cycle with fish in & I had nitrites for 2 wks.

Water Change

My change is due tommorrow as my ammonia has creeped up, this is my first time need some help.

The thing is the nitrate in my tap water is of the scale of my API testing kit. I was advised to do the water the night before adding some tap safe, but I'm worried this is not gonna work. Is there anything else I can do? Don't want to lose my guppies or ghost glass fish. Need help asap.

Hello k...

Nitrates at low levels aren't going to hurt your fish. You don't need to age the water either. If you use the old 5 gallon "bucket method" as I do, just add the water treatment to bucket as it fills. The water can go directly into the tank.

Water changes should be done weekly and you need to remove half the water in the tank when you do them. This will guarantee safe water conditions for your fish and plants.

B

Sounds like you are fine with the water declorinator. I thought you had like 100ppm out the tap lol. 5ppm won't harm anything and is a normal level in an established tank.

Your first sentence states your ammonia has gone up. Then you talk about nitrate. Alittle confused here... did you ammonia go up because that is a totally different issue. You shouldn't have any ammonia in an established tank unless something caused it. Usually something like a dead fish/snail or way overfeeding. With your nitrates being so low there would have to be a reason for an ammonia spike.

Just out of curiosity have you changed the water without setting it out & tested it 24hrs later out of the tank? And you may have said but I don't recall what is the nitrate typically in your tank? If its below 40 it should be OK.

Just re-read all the posts and saw your tank is 2 months old. The tank has cycled correct? The best way to lower ammonia is to do WC's. You didn't say what your ammonia level tested but if it is high you need to do WC's (as many as needed) to lower it.

Most important thing to remember with a fish in cycle... Anytime ammonia or nitrite gets above .25ppm do a water change! Anything above thise levels are toxic for fish. If ammonia levels are really really high (like 1ppm or greater) you can do a water change, wait an hour, re-test and then do another water change (if needed) to get levels safe for your fish. You don't want to completely wipe out Your ammonia while cycling or your BB has no food.

Back
Top Bottom