27 Gallon Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicolas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking about getting a 27 gallon cube tank and putting mainly gourami's and draws gourami's in there is that a good tank for them and about how many could I put in a tank that size.

I'm thinking about getting a 27 gallon cube tank and putting mainly gourami's and draws gourami's in there is that a good tank for them and about how many could I put in a tank that size.

Maybe a gourami and a dwarf would work. Gouramis are best as a addition to a community tank IMO, not in a species only.

You could do at least 6. It is always risky to put dwarfs and common ones together. I tried it 3 times, worked for almost a year once, two weeks another time, and maybe 3...3 and a half years the third time. So it's always touch and go with that. If you want just gourami, I would do one each of...pearl, opaline, gold, moonlight, dwarf flame, dwarf honey. I would try to get them all as small as possible and get them together as soon as possible. They are very hardy, so as long as the tank is stable you should be able to do two batches of three, and not have any problems.

If you don't want just gourami you could do a nice community in the cube. How about this...1 pearl and 1 dwarf flame as the centerpieces, 6 neons, 6 cory cats, and some shrimp.

Gouramis aren't really meant to share small spaces together. They're related to bettas and share the same sort of aggressiveness toward each other (particularly males) that will typically end in one dominant male and several dead ones... I would not advise trying something like that in such a small tank, although it is possible with honey gouramis. In order for it to work though you'd have to be able to find some female honey gouramis, which can be quite difficult unless special ordering.

Back
Top Bottom